Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay- I have a line on a 440 six pack EFI modified manifold, and custom made 3-2 barrel looking Throttle bodies, that fits the stock aircleaner.

With that component- I need (and please add other things I need to this list if you see them missing)

Electric fuel pump in the rear, and dual fuel lines to the front for delivery and return.

the obvious plumbing such as a regulator

A computer- like megasquirt or MSD VII

A distributor that allows the computer to read timing, and perhaps adjust timing.

O2 sensors on each header collector.

MAP sensor, (this one I don't understand, where it goes or what it does, or what it looks like)

and some kind of throttle positioning sensor- correct?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
crusinram, hey that looks like a great set-up. do you know what controller they are using now for fuel and ign? do you know if the tb's are simultanious or staged? from the pic there is already a press reg on the fuel rails and i would think a throttle pos sensor. i can speak to megasquirt/megasquirt(2), but not familiar w/msd system. i don't know what the inj run at, but prob about 40/50 psi and you will need a fp close to the tank to provide fuel (3/8 line) thru the press reg to the fuel rails and a return line (5/16) to the tank. megasquirt(2) is due to be released any time now and is an upgrade to ms(1) which does provide for fuel and ign control. as far as the dist is concerned (using ms2) a stock dist (single vr pickup) and w/locked mech adv and locked/removed vac adv connected thru a 7pin hei (gm) module. ms web site has info on this setup. best set-up for o2 is the wideband sensor. the map sensor is a device that varies resistance with manifold vaccum and is an input to the controller. it acts (in crude terms) the same way a vac advance works on a convential dist. this sig along with rpm,throttle pos,coolant temp,air temp determine inj open time and ign adv needed. i am going to use the 7 pin hei on my 440 when ms2 is released. i have a pic on my hosted web site that has my dist (7 pin hei) on bench test. you can see it by clicking on www (this post). about all i can think of now. (will know a lot more about ms2 when i get/install it. keep us up to date on your project. sounds interesting. good luck --sheriff--

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They can be staged or sequential- but I am going staged- you just don't get the "bang for the buck" with the sequential in everyday street driving from what I have heard- I bought a book off of Amazon today "Accell tuning DFI vs 6.0" and it is supposed to give me a bunch of basics- type knowledge.

I plan on buying the MSD dual pickup distributer anyway- though it is not really needed I understand for batch fire EFI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rance uses the old carbs, and straight up plug and play set up- very easy for a guy like me to run- price? FOUR GRAND- price for a homemade unit- probably, realistically, with me doing some/most of the work- probably close to 3K LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The more I read- the more likely I will be going with the megasquirt system- with a MSD set up distributor- the manifold and throttle bodies you see in the pic.

I am hoping to make it "open loop" as well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
CruisingRam said:
I plan on buying the MSD dual pickup distributer anyway- though it is not really needed I understand for batch fire EFI
What else are you going to use for a signal to the computer so it know where/when to fire? If its not from the Cam you need a signal from the crank either one is not cheap. But if you need one anyways. I wonder if you could retrofit a LA driributor off of an TBI engine to fit the RB block.

Does the megasquirt time spark as well? I know a while back someone was developing one to handle spark advance but that was a year+ ago. If it does I wonder if you will really need two sensors(e.g. Hall effect distributor and crank sensor)? Batch doesn''t need to know where exactly the intake valve is.

SMPFI is not neccessary. Its a bit more precise for low RPMs, good for emmissions, and pricey.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
If you're running the MSD ignition, then you can use the tach output connector on the MSD box. If not, you can use the (-) post on the coil. Crank sensor, cam sensor, etc, not needed.

MS does not do spark. MSII and UltraMS will.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
CruisingRam said:
I am reading the mega squirt manual now- and the MS II
--sheriff here. sound like you are getting serious about the fuel inj. i think it is a good decision to go with ms/msII. i am well satisfied with mine and plan to go to msII when avail. from some of the posts i have acouple of comments. yes you can use the la dist from a fi eng. all you have to do is have the lower shaft lengthened about .2". they are simple, can be had for cheap and provide a good signal input to ms. only thing is, you have to keep it the shaft straight. not much weight in the dis to drive. i have found that the coil (-) does not have a good square wave sig and can cause unstable input to ms. another solution is to use a gm hei 7 pin along with a single pu vr dist. this provides a good sq wave sig and good dwell to the coil. right now i am using an la modified dis with good results. i plan to go to the gm hei setup when i convert to msII. i don't see any big advantage to spend the $$$ for the msd setup. what does your eng specs look like? is this going to be a driver, shower or competition? depending on what you want to end up with, there would be different reccomendations. a holley 900 cfm tb will support up to 600 hp (engine has to be capable of this) or for port inj a cheaper route may be to have a four bbl manifold or six pack man fitted with inj bungs/fuel rails i really like the looks of the six pac setup, (but a lot of $$$, is it worth it?) just a few thoughs. i have a lot of memories about ank, ak from my 1.5 yr at ft rich in mid 50's. good luck --sheriff--

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Damn that is nice, wish my engine bay looked that clean, shoot wish my EFI looked that nice!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Look at the new Edelbrock setup, the Pro Flo. It is an absolutely complete package, you don't have to build your own computer, and it is reasonable at $2500 or so.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
but it has to be special oredered. No one has it in stock, and Summit says they don't plan on stocking it any time soon, but they can get it for around 2500-2600 complete...and that includes a new distributor and timing control.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
E-brock says it is in production. They say it should be a regular stock item soon. You cannot ask for a more complete kit than the Pro-Flo. E-brock also did mention that Mancini Racing probably had them in stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts