Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I want my shop back. A big 3 car garage is nice and all but when you've got 9 vehicles and enough spares to build a couple more it just ain't cutting it. Current plan is a 24x40 pole building to park 4 of my nicest ones. IF I ever pony up for the lifts, could maybe double that.

Leaning toward 26x40 to make more side room for the parts stash - 3 feet on each side of the parking. 1/2 of that will be existing racking, other 1/2 is gonna be a car, some assembly required.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have a 24x48. You'll need more. That is just enough to park 4 rides. That's all. You'll have to consider a loft if you want part storage.Pole buildings allow for 1 door for every 12 foot section.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 24x48. You'll need more. That is just enough to park 4 rides. That's all. You'll have to consider a loft if you want part storage.Pole buildings allow for 1 door for every 12 foot section.
There is no such thing as "enough" garage space.

26x40 is 1040 sq ft, have a 1200 sq ft limit from the township and a 20' sea can for the mowers is in my future.

(2) 9x8 overhead doors fit on the 26' side, man door on adjacent side.

40' deep allows me to put both my Daytonas in one bay, the RC, LRE and RC roof in the other.

3' garage door to wall down both sides is functionally deep enough for the 40' plus of racks that I have.

I could use about 3x as much but it at least doubles what I have.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda forgot this thread while randomly jacking Bohunks. Did I mention weed is legal in PA? I'll skip the insanity of general life that kept me from doing this sometime over the 20 years I've lived here. Since retiring I've been trying to spend more time in the shop and push has come to shove.

Conceptually I still really like the idea of DIY modular building made from shipping cans. Start small, expand over time, would have been pretty low budget before covid shutdown left cargo ships anchored for a month hoping to unload. That caused used can prices to more than double. Looking for options I went down the rabbit hole of an enclosed carport on a concrete slab and my simple advise is don't. That's much more about how the industry operates that the actual product. Too many sketchy sales people and random gypsy install crews. That put me back where I was years back - the basic pole building. If I skip the vinyl siding and shingle roof, not that much of a hit to the wallet over the enclosed carport plus the benefit of a single source local contractor plus a site prep guy.

I put out (6) requests for bids which actually went easier after dancing with the carport guys. Had a pretty solid idea of building size / features plus an understanding of some things that drive cost. Simple advise here is source your own garage doors. Trimmed that down to (4) then (2) based on response time, perceived enthusiasm, google reviews, better business bureau standing, contractor license info on file with the state, price per square foot, sales techniques and which strain I was smoking. Simple advise there is Bio-Jesus.

Working from the assumption that small town building permit guys are kinda like small town cops, I put too much effort in to shuffling the paper I thought I needed. Lot plans from the county online tax assessment database, soil type reports from Corp Of Engineer online sources, overlay existing and proposed structures, overlay my existing storm runoff management system. Shoe horn the building in the allowable soil type while dodging utilities, drains, well and septic systems, trees. Required set back for building height actually helped with that. Getting a generic unsealed building plan from the vendors also turned in to a selection decision point. One company sends them as part of the first response, another one asks me to clarify my request.

Generally I don't trust anybody and often that includes myself so I set up a review meeting with the township. Informal sit down to go over what I've got and tell me what's wrong with it and / or missing. Turned out to be a good call because I missed a major speed bump while rummaging around the building ordinances. Any hard surface covering up more that 1,000 sq. ft. requires a storm run off management study. Building, driveway, patio, tennis courts - any and all installed since 2003 gets included. Ya gotta hire an engineer then submit his plan to the township engineer, then dance as needed.

That was just one hoop too far for the 60 sq. ft I was over. Spend who knows how much hiring an engineer to basically redocument the system in place and bring another oversized ego or two in to the mix. The real straw that broke the camels back is that almost all of my storm water problems are caused by the township refusing to fix the drainage problems along the road up the hill from me. I've already got about 14 drains on the property - adding 2 more and a swell was already on the list.

The path of least resistance here was trim down the foot print to dodge all that noise. Handily my existing 2 car space is 24' wide so I could use that as a template to figure out how much rack space I can create where. After much over planning I think on site meeting with the top 2 contenders is the last step before cutting the check. Put that wheel in motion and send an email to my excavator. One company will do lot prep, other one won't and I'd rather hire him anyway. Lives about 2 miles away, has done work for me in the past, did work for a few neighbors. I know him, he knows the land. Need to follow up but he's worked with at list one of the builders that made my cut and likes them so that carries weight.

Next week or two should wrap it up and then the fun starts.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F waiting another week. Just cut the check. On the upside cost to build end to end down $3/ sq. ft. while plotting and planning.

[/accent_amish] Id be usin the the email thingy and talking there to the man what builds a garage once. Asked him would he like come see da place now. Fella didn't answer to me in the email. Call him up the phone there once. Spoke to this nice young feller that sail ol Lem retired other dayt. I outta be payin more attention to his email thingy there.[/accent_end]

Young fella turned out to be head construction manager, we jawed a bit, that was enough. Take my money. I can picture the guy hanging up phone, jawin a bit with the owner, tellin the yippy new field sales guy to get a sig. Him, I don't wanna meet so ya know, used the email thingy there oncet to what ya call shop the photo or whatever it be now.

good karma on cost to build: took doors off the one stop shopping list to skim profit. turns out the latest building product shortage is garage doors. I can wait for those too.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warehouse vs Garage. I used the term intentionally because I've always called my basement the warehouse. Various girls over the year have gotten used to it. Get yer car fixed? Yep. Have the part down stairs? Yep.

My frakenram plow truck was worth every bit of the $400 I paid for it. Last couple times out it sounds like gravel rolling around in the front end. Will look at it later but told current girl it was either the front axle, front drive shaft or xfer case. she didn't even ask. spare D44 had better disks, newer bearings / u-joints, recently picked up a Trak Lok. double cardon joints are on the shelf. have a running when pulled 203.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If the Amish guy wasn't white and Christian, you'd be banned for a week without question. Selective discrimination I guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I was looking at that there email thingy onced and that girl what works at the township sent me the thingy there what says I can come get my permit onced. (past tense of once).

This guy has been killing at the fire halls for decades. HBO and others have turned him down for being too regional. Your mileage may vary.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soooo...
Deposit on the building, permit approved, met with lot prep guy, ordered doors, cut down 2 trees, pulled up some hard scaping. Gotta cut down one more. Think I can get out of it for under $30k.

My site work guy is Mennonite as in bonnets and plain dresses, gardens and live stock. Can't tell ya anything else about that religion. The guy himself is the happiest, hardest working, most honest and pleasant guy ya ever want to meet. We're talking about fill and build date and vendor and he says the fella over the hill oncet is getting one from them a couple week later and I gotta take fill outta there.

Some progress pics. 1st was taken 10 yrs back while hatching other plan.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Mennonites are good people. I live next to their pastor who has a three story home on 40 acres and some giant ass tractors and more JD Ag equipment than anyone around. They are always courteous and friendly. They bail my hay, fix my cars, and pump my septic, I shop at their store and buy from their bakery. When they have their picnics at the pastors house, it looks like a "little house on the prairie" re-enactment. LOL. Good people.

Reactions: Panda

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been stressing dead lines while waiting for my guy to come back and measure the slope he's gonna level. Ida dumping 5" last week came in handy as I wondered around taking video of my drainage situation. Kinda messed up life as he's been busy fixing stuff. Yard drops more than I thought and looking at 200 yds to level it out. Will probably exceed what I had budgeted by the time it's all said and done but doubt enough to be painful.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Grass Asphalt

Meanwhile at the other corner, I found my foundation drain almost completely clogged with tree roots. Fed it some root killer the other day, gonna come back later and take a crack at snaking it with a pressure washer.

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stripping back the top soil and if I had buried my drains a few inches deeper...

Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape

Wood Grass Garden tool Plant Landscape

·
Super Moderator
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The driveway really didn't enjoy how ever many loads they brought it but it needed work anyway.

Road surface Asphalt Bedrock Grass Groundcover

Road surface Plant Asphalt Grass Groundcover

1 - 20 of 61 Posts