Dodge RamCharger Central banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
You know, I'm not really sure. I didn't check them out for very long, it seems like some sort of coating though. It's very rough, like sandpaper. I'm assuming for more surface area, and stronger reinforcement.

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
Generally it's some sort of plasti-dip / epoxy / plastic coating and the general idea is rust prevention for the rebar.

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
Is it a reason not to plant them and live in a desert? I have hundreds of trees on my land(bit over 4 acres) and it's a true PITA to mow around them but it's worth the effort.
Let me answer that this way: I've still got a couple of trees about the size of the (3) that got blown over. If one of those went down in that storm it could have landed on my RC.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Generally it's some sort of plasti-dip / epoxy / plastic coating and the general idea is rust prevention for the rebar.
The green ones are actually powder coated, I have been away too long, not sure if white is powder, or a painted style. but the jury is still out on what is best. Thats for outside exposed concrete that gets wet. I think I would go for galvanized. But under a garage, I would go with the cheapest, not likely to see the wet dry cycles that out door stuff will.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
So I was totally wrong. Ain’t the first time. The holes I thought the beams went into, are just footings. I guess the beams go up some other way.

This is why I ain’t building it I guess 😂

Concrete

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Interesting that the rebar is not tied into them then.

·
Registered
901 Posts
My poles are in the ground with the concrete poured around them. I wonder if the general is going to come back and see this and ask why the poles didn't go in first. This could be fun to watch. LOL

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
My poles are in the ground with the concrete poured around them. I wonder if the general is going to come back and see this and ask why the poles didn't go in first. This could be fun to watch. LOL
He would have been the one coordinating the poles, and concrete work, cannot blame anyone else.

It is interesting to see.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The general is here with the crew.

The limited experience I have with concrete, we didn’t tie the rebar in with any vertical beams. Just laid out and tied togethor

·
Super Moderator
1,325 Posts
The holes I thought the beams went into, are just footings. I guess the beams go up some other way.
If it's vertical it's a post, beams are horizontal. I knew what ya meant but sometimes minor details bug me.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
They cut the concrete this morning.

We are now in a holding pattern. The contractor says he has a few other projects going on and since the concrete needs 4 or 5 days to cure anyway, he’s going to be gone for a while. He’s thinking a week from Monday they should be back to finish.

Here’s where we stand. Might be a little while before I have much in the way of updates.

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Did he say anything about keeping it damp or covered?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
We wetted it down twice yesterday. He said that would be good enough

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
I guess he knows better then I do, it has been close to 30 years since I went to school for that. I learned you want to keep it moist as possible for 30 days. Concrete cures, and that process will keep taking place as long as it is moist, once it dries, the curing process stops. It looks like it is only a 20% or so difference in strength.

·
Registered
901 Posts
So if you want to park your 1 ton dually with the camper on the back in the shop, it looks like full wet cure is a good idea (?)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I think modern concrete has gotten better. I used to work at a Gypsum mill and we were making a product that was put into concrete. Very slow curing stuff, but super strong, even early in the curing process. It allowed for traffic in something like 6 hours. You could literally shut down a bridge at 7pm, grind off the surface, lay this stuff down, and have the bridge open by 7am.

Now, that is an exceptional product and surely isn't in my pad. But it goes to show that additives can change the strength and curing properties immensely.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts