Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Floor heat.
I wish I had floor cooling. ;D
Spend a winter in Iowa. 馃槈

The fuel savings on not having to warm the truck up to go to work will probably pay for the floor heat system in a couple years.

Hey Kurt, don鈥檛 they sell window AC units you can put in your shop?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The plumbers are coming back on Monday to charge the floor heat system and pressurize it to test for leaks. The time to find out if it leaks is before the concrete gets poured 馃槵

The plumber tells me the glycol mix they put in is good for -70 degrees F. So if the water boiler dies in the winter, the tubes won鈥檛 freeze up and crack. We will never see those kind of temps by a long shot, so it鈥檚 all good.

Concrete is ordered for Tuesday.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That is an awesome looking building layout. I have actually never heard of the insulation in the floor but it makes sense. Heard of garages having heated floors, but never watched the build process. Keep the great pictures coming Bohunk.

Learning something new is always sweet. Poles in first then concrete around the base of the pole, and concrete floor last after the building was done is how my dad and uncles built ours.

Neil
Friend of mine bought a place in town about ten years ago that had a new garage behind the house that had in floor heat. It was amazing. So much more efficient than a furnace and way more comfortable. I swore then that if I ever built a shop it would absolutely have in floor heat.

I had a forced air furnace in my garage in town, it worked well but there was never any way to heat up the floor. You would get on the floor creeper and be 20 degrees colder. Plus the floor would 鈥渟weat鈥 due to temp differences. It was just a mess.

Floor heat is a total game changer.

Administrator
And to answer the question, yes I was right, the beams around the edge go into the ground and act as the anchors. These beams will be poured in with concrete
Now that is more what I am used to. Did not see many built, but most had the concrete surrounding the poles.

Registered
Spend a winter in Iowa. 馃槈

The fuel savings on not having to earn the truck up to go to work will probably pay for the floor heat system in a couple years.

Hey Kurt, don鈥檛 they sell window AC units you can put in your shop?
The problem is my shop... is my garage.
I have two, two car garages. So they are in use daily. So trying to cool them with some kind of refrigerant air conditioning isn't real practical.
I do have a swamp cooler in "my" garage. They work fairly well because they dump out air in large volumes. They don't work well when the dewpoints go over 55 degrees. On those humid days, which we have been getting a steady stream lately, they don't work well at all. Now, if you stand in front of it, and don't do anything, they will cool you down. But who can do that?

My "shop".

Registered
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Kurt, why isn鈥檛 it practical to cool them down? Too big?

Ive seen those swamp coolers before. I鈥檓 not sure how well they work around here though. As humid as it is I wouldn鈥檛 think very well but people still use them.

Super Moderator
You guys ever been to PA this time of year? Say like for Carlisle? Right now its: 9:30 am, 80F, 75% humidity, 70 deg dew point and this is a cool comfortable morning. Other day when I was having a heat stroke, err cutting the grass, it was in the 90s for both temp and humidity.

I've got an attached 2 car that is about 24x24 w/ 9ft ceiling that has an attached 17x14 (fit's a short bed reg cab!). When I bought the place I put R60 bats in the attic and added vapor barrier to all the outside walls. Current a/c is $50 craigs score, 11,000 btu, Kenmore (runs forever) window unit. Doesn't matter how bad it gets outside, give that thing an hour and it's 70 in the shop. The big sears box fan straight out of the 50s helps move the air around.

Super Moderator
Yup, that's what I'd do, trees add a lot to the landscape.
Trees are mowing obstacles (4.5 ac) and have this habit of falling on cars and buildings. Shade is nice but I'll pay the electric bill, especially after the landscaping Sandy did around here:

Registered
I watched an episode of This Old House a while back. They laid out this whole heated floor process step by step for a garage with a MIL apt above it. I would love to have that setup in my pole barn. JEALOUS!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
You guys ever been to PA this time of year? Say like for Carlisle? Right now its: 9:30 am, 80F, 75% humidity, 70 deg dew point and this is a cool comfortable morning. Other day when I was having a heat stroke, err cutting the grass, it was in the 90s for both temp and humidity.

I've got an attached 2 car that is about 24x24 w/ 9ft ceiling that has an attached 17x14 (fit's a short bed reg cab!). When I bought the place I put R60 bats in the attic and added vapor barrier to all the outside walls. Current a/c is $50 craigs score, 11,000 btu, Kenmore (runs forever) window unit. Doesn't matter how bad it gets outside, give that thing an hour and it's 70 in the shop. The big sears box fan straight out of the 50s helps move the air around.
Pretty standard weather conditions around here too. It鈥檚 rare a d quite pleasant to see the humidity drop below 70%

Registered
See, this is what pisses me off about Washington. It's an absolutely beautiful state with ocean beaches, rain forests, prairies, mountain ranges, volcanos, thankfully inactive at the moment, deserts, large lakes, giant rivers, etc. We don't really have any spiders or snakes or scorpions or gators that want to kill you. Yes, we have bears, cougars, and wolves, but they keep to themselves... most of the time. We also have some very mild weather 99% of the time without tornadoes, hurricanes, and major quakes. Humidity can be high but it is generally too cool to notice. So, what's to hate about it... Liberal woke govt has ruined the atmosphere with their political stink. Thankfully their woke riots stay more towards the cities and don't bother the countryhood for the most part.

Registered
Kurt, why isn鈥檛 it practical to cool them down? Too big?

Ive seen those swamp coolers before. I鈥檓 not sure how well they work around here though. As humid as it is I wouldn鈥檛 think very well but people still use them.
They would be practical if the garage doors stayed shut. A/C cooling is like a refrigerator.... if you don't keep the door shut on it.... it works horrible. Waste all kind of power.
I'm am considering one in "my" garage sometime soon... maybe.
Evaporative coolers work awesome when the dewpoint is 55 degrees or lower.
And you guys back there in God's country don't understand the climate in this here desert.
We get a seasonal monsoon flow most times in the summer. Vast amounts of moisture flows up the Rookies though Aridzona from the Gulf of California/ Mexico. This time of year the deserts of Arizona, up through those Rookies get significant amounts of thunderstorms. We sit on the western fringe of that snot. We can get dewpoints in the upper 70's regularly in the months of July and August. With our temps reaching the high one teens most times... it can be brutal. I'm talking heat indexes in the 125 F. to 130 f. range. Back in the summer of '97, we had a heat index one day of 147 F.
It's really frustrating when the clouds build up in the afternoon and it dumps rain in the surrounding mountains and all we get is more humidity.
So, when you think you've got a humidity problem... I can one up you... most times. :)

BUT... when the dewpoints get down in the single digits... this desert isn't so bad. Your human cooling system works like it's supposed to.
I've seen temps in those mid- one teens on a very dry day. You sweat... and you actually cool down.
I've had my garage get down to 80 degress on those kind of days with my swamp cooler.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I can see that being a problem. But people heat their garages in the winter here, opening and closing them without too much trouble? 'Course you are talking about heat from burning natural gas as opposed to AC that is totally electric.

I spent a summer in Wichita, KS and though it is certainly no desert, it was significantly drier than my home state. 100 degree days there did not feel that bad. So I think I kind of get the gist of what a desert climate might be like.

Vendor
I have a house hot air system w/ a 3 ton AC cooler for my shop/garage & works great. The shop is heavily insulated & the over head doors are insulated also so I don't get a loss there also.

Super Moderator
They would be practical if the garage doors stayed shut. A/C cooling is like a refrigerator.... if you don't keep the door shut on it.... it works horrible. Waste all kind of power.
It's all about how often ya open the door and how long it stays up. My girl parks in the driveway but comes in through the garage because walking down the sidewalk to the front door is too much trouble. Not a huge loss as it's kinda like reaching in and grabbing a soda. It's when she opens the door and sits in her running car playing with her phone that I get annoyed. Ya know, standing there with the door open trying to pick a flavor. Driving her hot car in to my nice cool space would be a different issue.

Registered
It's all about how often ya open the door and how long it stays up. My girl parks in the driveway but comes in through the garage because walking down the sidewalk to the front door is too much trouble. Not a huge loss as it's kinda like reaching in and grabbing a soda. It's when she opens the door and sits in her running car playing with her phone that I get annoyed. Ya know, standing there with the door open trying to pick a flavor. Driving her hot car in to my nice cool space would be a different issue.
Yep.

Registered
Doesn鈥檛 it rain like 300 days a year in SeaTac? ;)
HAHA, that's what we tell people to stop them from moving here but we were Californicated anyway. Summers here are quite nice now. Thank you global warming. lol. We are going on 33 days now without measurable rain and we have been between 70* and 112*. all summer. Parts of washington are normally 300 days of sun a year on the east side of the cascades.

Reactions: TheBohunk

Registered
Trees are mowing obstacles (4.5 ac) and have this habit of falling on cars and buildings.
Is it a reason not to plant them and live in a desert? I have hundreds of trees on my land(bit over 4 acres) and it's a true PITA to mow around them but it's worth the effort.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts