Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a vehicle, but it certainly qualifies as a project, right? 😉

If it needs moved to General that’s fine.

Wife and I decided to refinance the house this past winter. So after moving out here on the farm 9 years ago and not really having a good place to work on things, we decided to get a cash out loan with the refi and build a shop.

Herewhat I started with. This old garage was only about 20x20. And it was the only building here with concrete floor. But it was broken and the building itself was falling apart. Too much in repairs to justify it. So it had to come down.

The new shop is going up directly adjacent to the old garage, i wanted to keep the concrete pad it sat in. So these trees needed to come down too. Hated cutting down that beautiful red maple but ithad to go.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here’s a shot of what the new shop is going to look like. 40x40. 3 overhead doors(one will be on the opposite side) heated floors. A concrete pad with the overhang off the south side.

I had originally wanted something just a little bigger, like 60x40 but it just wasn't in the budget. Building materials, if you haven't heard, have skyrocketed.

Should be kickass.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Had the neighbor bring his backhoe up and dig up the stumps. They were deeper and bigger than than they appeared.

Wasnt much I could do here so I kicked back with some ice cold Busch Lights, or Blue Yummies as I like to call them

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
Cool. Wish I had neighbors like that.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had the neighbor dig a hole directly next to the old garage. The plan was to knock it over into the hole, burn it, and cover it back up. Things mostly went smoothly.

Stumps cleared out

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn’t get much for pics while I was prepping the garage for demolition. But I stripped it of whatever I thought I might use. Wiring, wood, etc. I even got some 20 foot long 2x6s out of the trusses. Didn’t want to take too much wood out while it was over my head.

Finally after stripping it, and making some strategic cuts with the sawzall, the old garage knocked over easily with my old IH 460

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hole wasn’t big enough to fit the entire contents of the rubble, which I knew and had done on purpose so that the fire would be smaller and more controlled. The remaining rubble was pushed away to be burned as we went.

Then it was burn time

Anyhow, the fire almost got out off hand. I came close to calling the local fire dept, whom I know because I was on it 😉. But wife and I had hoses handy and kept it under control

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Afterward I filled in the hole and smoothed things out. Looking here on my phone I see I never took any pictures of the aftermath, I might snap a few in the morning.

This is where we are. The contractor is supposed to start either late this week or next week sometime. He is doing all the big stuff, but I will be handling some of the finish work like the garage doors and electrical and such.

Thanks for reading. I'll add more to this thread as we go.

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
Is that a kit, or just plans?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a kit. It got delivered about a week ago. I've got the pile of lumber and steel sitting out by the bins.

I didn't want to go with a Menards kit, I would have preferred a Morton or Reeves or something like that. But again, there just wasn't enough in the budget. The difference in kits was like $15k. We couldn't swing that much.

·
Administrator
59,685 Posts
Yea, I have looked at some off and on, the prices are all over the place. I will be watching this to see how it goes. I bet you are chompin at the bit to see it done.

Reactions: TheBohunk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah this has been on my plate since about February. I'm excited to do it, excited to have a shop, but I'm also ready to have it over with.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hated cutting down that beautiful red maple but ithad to go
That's a huge loss but what can you do...

Other than that...
This will be a fun thread to watch! The design looks really nice and I can't wait to see the final outcome!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Looked at a couple menards kits myself. Like you however money just ain't in the cards.

This will be a sweet building when you are done. Excited to see how this comes along.

Neil

Reactions: TheBohunk

·
Registered
865 Posts
The hole wasn’t big enough to fit the entire contents of the rubble, which I knew and had done on purpose so that the fire would be smaller and more controlled. The remaining rubble was pushed away to be burned as we went.

Then it was burn time

Anyhow, the fire almost got out off hand. I came close to calling the local fire dept, whom I know because I was on it 😉. But wife and I had hoses handy and kept it under control View attachment 618703
Love the looks of that barn! Auto shop on the first floor, woodshop on the second, man cave up top! LOL

Reactions: TheBohunk and Panda

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love the looks of that barn! Auto shop on the first floor, woodshop on the second, man cave up top! LOL
I can’t. It’s full of goats

It is a cool barn though. Built in 1938 by the same family we bought this place from.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A couple quick pics of where we are today.

Heres where the hole was. I wanted to keep the concrete pad that old garage sat on because it’s nice to have a place to park equipment where you don’t have to mow around it. I’ll probably park my hay rake and livestock trailer here

Jusy another from the same perspective I’ve taken a few others.

I’m really itching to get this thing going.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looked at a couple menards kits myself. Like you however money just ain't in the cards.

This will be a sweet building when you are done. Excited to see how this comes along.

Neil
We had a few days where we thought seriously about pumping the brakes on the project. Lumber especially had just gone through the roof. But we just decided to go for it and make it happen. A few thousand wasn’t going to make us or break us in the long run and we are not getting any younger.

And true to form, we ordered the building in April and by June lumber prices had fallen locally by about 25%.
That was a kick in the nuts

1 - 20 of 102 Posts