Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any major positives or negatives to stroking one over the other?
I had some one tell me the 318s have overheating problems when stroked?
I have two 318's that need rebuilding so I was leaning that way.
I also see some companies (ATK)  offering 408 strokers from 360s and buying a shortblock and
adding my aluminum heads would be faster and easier if anyone makes a great shortblock like this.
How is ATKs reputation? Anyone else known to be fantastic?
Thanks PG

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
well...I'll offer my thoughts - not suggestions because I haven't actually done any strokers myself, but here goes. 

In my book a 360 'is' a stroked 318, so I would never consider stroking a 318 because...well the factory already did, and for dern'd sure finding/installing a 360 is typically a whole lot less spendy than all the machine workj for stroking a 318.

A stroked 360 tho...when 'more' torque is needed there aren't many options other than a big block, and if I were ever to need a 'big' small block I'd probably stroke a 360, but I would probably not go for max horsepower and instead focus on torque down low - no huge heads or cam, just a nice warm 360 built for a 'truck' application.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Stroking a 318 is like lipstick on a pig.  Yeah, it's better than a 318, but at the end of the day, it's still not as good as a stroked 360.  With the money being about the same, I would go with the 360.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks I have been leaning that way but again I own at least two maybe three 318 full motors.
Two should be matching numbers for my two 74 halfdoors but I dont think that is super important on these trucks especially since they are far from show trucks right now.

Thanks PG

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have a thought on the ATK 408 shortblocks? $3200 ish with forged crank, rods and pistons.
I have a set of new ready to roll ported aluminum heads already.
Thanks PG

·
Registered
794 Posts
PGG said:
Anyone have a thought on the ATK 408 shortblocks? $3200 ish with forged crank, rods and pistons.
I have a set of new ready to roll ported aluminum heads already.
Thanks PG
I'm in the process of building a 408 at the moment. Originally, I looked at the ATK options but the mixed reviews and sketchy technical information when I called and asked them about it was a turn off. I ended up getting a SCAT kit from Summit and will have about $600 in machine shop costs. Aside from some paint, I should be about $800-1000 cheaper than the ATK, which I was more than happy to put towards a set of Eddy/Mancini aluminum heads.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
Well I just give my humble opinion. You can't go wrong with either. The 318 and 360 are both basically the same engine. If you already have a couple of 318s, you can save yourself a bit of money by not having to buy a 360. Thats a bit of money you can put into something else.

Ed

·
Registered
303 Posts
The 318 would probably need custom pistons made...(Read that as 'higher cost').  The bore size is not a standard 4" bore.  4" pistons are the basic Chevy size & piston blanks are easy, not so with the 318.  The smaller bore diameter also disrupts the air flow through the open valve.  Bigger bore, better air flow through the valve, because there is more open space in a larger diameter of the valve head.

If both engine build costs were equal (they're not)...why put the effort into a 318 & penalize yourself the 40-75 HP & torque you could get out of the 360? 

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pc1p said:
I'm in the process of building a 408 at the moment. Originally, I looked at the ATK options but the mixed reviews and sketchy technical information when I called and asked them about it was a turn off. I ended up getting a SCAT kit from Summit and will have about $600 in machine shop costs. Aside from some paint, I should be about $800-1000 cheaper than the ATK, which I was more than happy to put towards a set of Eddy/Mancini aluminum heads.
Which SCAT kit did you go with? Got a part number? Thanks PG

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
stftruck said:
The 318 would probably need custom pistons made...(Read that as 'higher cost'). The bore size is not a standard 4" bore. 4" pistons are the basic Chevy size & piston blanks are easy, not so with the 318. The smaller bore diameter also disrupts the air flow through the open valve. Bigger bore, better air flow through the valve, because there is more open space in a larger diameter of the valve head.

If both engine build costs were equal (they're not)...why put the effort into a 318 & penalize yourself the 40-75 HP & torque you could get out of the 360?
Unless you start with a new factory block ($$), either will need pistons. These stroker kits for 360s usually spec a 0.030' oversize piston and are usually custom with a shorter pin-to-crown distance to make up for the increased stroke. I do agree to use a 360 regardless, since for just the cost of a used engine you gain a good bit more power.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
Elwenil said:
Stroking a 318 is like lipstick on a pig. Yeah, it's better than a 318, but at the end of the day, it's still not as good as a stroked 360. With the money being about the same, I would go with the 360.
...what I wonder is...would a stroked 318 be 'so much better' than a standard 360 that it would be worth the effort?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Why go through the cost and trouble?  Just get a 360 and be done with it. 

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
Mad Max said:
...what I wonder is...would a stroked 318 be 'so much better' than a standard 360 that it would be worth the effort?
Would it be better? yes. Worth the EXPENSE (not effort) ? imho no. The stroker kit adds anywhere from ~$1800-$3000 more, on top of the general cost of a rebuild.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I was leaning towards the ATK 408 stroker for $3350 on Summit racing but I did a search on ATK and their google reviews suck balls.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
What is the intent for the new engine?  Basic truck engine for towing heavy or big tires?  Mid-range hot rod engine, hot laps and some street-strip time?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have two 74 half doors one will remain looking stock the other came to me with 40" tires and a 6-8" lift.
I am putting heavy duty axels in it changing to 35-38" tires and a full cage is almost finished. I know I dont need a ton of power for all five of my trucks but I have never accidentally had too much.

·
Super Moderator
13,934 Posts
well I'll offer this; I put a 440 in my Dakota because I wanted as much engine as I could without going exotic - I had a good rebuildable 440 and didn't want to go with aluminum heads or such, just a big solid all-iron OE power plant (with EFI and other 'modernish' goodies too).  My Dak is getting 40's and will be a serious 6500-lb rock crawler/multi-day overlanding machine, and also a daily driver on 'Fun Truck Friday' ;) .  Now, if ever comes a day when I have to go back to a small block I will most likely build a 360-based 408 stroker, but if you have a 74 that is getting big running gear I'd presume you'd drop a big block in there in a heart beat ya?  The other tho is still a big heavy truck, and while a 360 would certainly do well a well-built stroker would certainly up the 'fun factor'.  Not sure if a 318-based 390 would be worth it when a 360 is already 'done', and I honestly don't know how much 'more' a 408 really is compared to a warm 360, meaning I don't know how much you'd feel with a stroker over a 360.  I can say this tho - Homer's RC "Levi" has a 408 and his truck weighs over 7000 lbs, and with 5.86s and 36" tires (soon to be 40s) his truck 'feels' pretty good.

To your original question, I don't know of any pro's/cons of one over the other as far as a stroker buildup goes - as far as building one vs another I'd think they'd be 'about the same'.  Differences in power and such, but considering a 390 to a 408 I'd guess it wouldn't be enough to feel (I think the 390 is the standard 318 stroker build...?).

I don't think a stroker buildup will make either one run 'hot' - that's all cylinder wall thickness, timing, fuel etc.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The 390 has always intrigued me.  A seriously warm 360 is lots of fun and easier on the parts wallet. Either way the  thin wall blocks should be sonic checked to see if they can even take a 30 overbore. Or it will definitely run hot no matter what you do.                                  Although i would rather do a 390 with a good 1968 block

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
stftruck said:
The 318 would probably need custom pistons made...(Read that as 'higher cost'). The bore size is not a standard 4" bore. 4" pistons are the basic Chevy size & piston blanks are easy, not so with the 318. The smaller bore diameter also disrupts the air flow through the open valve. Bigger bore, better air flow through the valve, because there is more open space in a larger diameter of the valve head.

While you are correct about the valves and all that, when you start adding significant cubic inches to a small engine, you have to address the heads wether you're dealing with a 318 or a 360. Even the 360, factory heads will not breathe enough to feed the extra cubic inches that a stroker can provide. If it were possible, it would be like sticking 360 heads on a 440 and expecting them to work. If I were to build a small block stroker, part of the build would include either reworked factory heads or popping for a pair of aftermarket heads. I'd probably lean to aftermarket heads, they often offer a lot more options.

Mad Max said:
Yes, a stroker 318 would be 'so much better' than a standard 360. It's not like SB Ford or SB Chevy strokers that make no sense to do because they already make an engine in that size, for example the 347 (302 stroker) when Ford already built no less than three different 351s, and a 352. Chevy 383 is a popular stroker, but Chevy already offers a 400 cubic inch small block. The minimal displacement 318 stroker kit is greater than the 360 (That being the 370) And the other offered displacements put you into big block territory, in a common package thats much easier to find. Cost-wise, it's all relative. There is no such thing as cheap HP and thats going to apply to a 318, a 360 or a big block Chrysler. The good news is, the 318 is cheap and very common. People will give them away for 360s

Ed

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.