Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't find any 16" 8 on 6.5 wheels that don't suck, and I've looked at a bunch. All I see are either plain as paper, common as dirt, ugly as sin or just outright gay. Few to no options on backspacing/offset. 

Need a source or sources to buy 'me weld 'em' wheel centers and rims. Google searches using various terms just bring up page after page of center caps and butt ugly wheels.

Stockton Wheel doesn't have much to offer. I did find Stazworks  Offroad. I haven't called them yet but as far as I can tell all they make are two piece double beadlocks. Hardcore buggy and rock bouncer stuff.

They do have a center that I like the looks of, but I have more pressing things to do than checking my wheels for loose bolts every Saturday. Not sure they'd balance properly and at $2000 and up for five, they ain't exactly cheap. Complete overkill for my old dual purpose rig, but I'd consider pulling the trigger on them if I knew they wouldn't be a constant pain in the ass.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
How wide?

For 16x7 I'd chase down some Ford Alcoa's, or paint some steelies. (The steelies fit our dog dish caps too)

For 16x8 I'd run late 2ndgen wheels (alum or steel). Suck it up and run a spacer or wider diff(s). Paint to your taste.  Once you're setup for these higher offset wheels, extra sets of OE takeoffs are cheap/easy to come by.

My buddy paid far too much to have some OE 16" steels widened to his specs; ended up not fitting. Runs a spacer anyway.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The only "DIY" wheels I have seen were either centers for changing the HMMWV double beadlocks or the weld on beadlock kits to add a beadlock ring to an existing rim.

·
Registered
574 Posts
"Detroit Steel Wheel Co. builds custom steelies for almost any ride. For Immediate access to available sizes, lug patterns, offsets, accessories, measuring guides and specialty tire options; download our 2019 Wheel Catalog."

https://detroitsteelwheel.com/

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elwenil said:
The only "DIY" wheels I have seen were either centers for changing the HMMWV double beadlocks or the weld on beadlock kits to add a beadlock ring to an existing rim.
I haven't found anything, and I probably know why. I can see the safety issues with selling wheels as DIY parts to the general public. The same level of idjits that gob together all the hardware store turbo hackery would be welding themselves up a set with 0.00" backspacing.

I can lay down a decent bead but I'd still have the certified welder where I work stitch them up. I simply wouldn't risk taking out a minivan with somebody's wife and kids in it.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
I feel for you. It's hard to find decent wheels anymore that don't look gay or fit 20"er's. Same as gay. ;D
If it's that hard to find good wheels.... maybe try some different size tires that offer more choices?
Just bought 4 new 35/12.5-16 BFG's and some steel wheels. Turns out the wheels were crap with horrible runout. Had to get my money back and have the new BFG's mounted on my old wheels. Nothing wrong with the ones I have, just been on there for close to 10 years, ready for something different.

Not sure why 16's are such a bastard child now, they were installed on millions of trucks. More sizes available in 15's than 16's. Not going to grind the calipers to fit 15's. Don't really care for 17's or larger unless the tire OD increases proportionally. Taller tires would require regearing my axles, don't really want to get into that job either. Kind of stuck with what I got.

MSP Dan said:
"Detroit Steel Wheel Co. builds custom steelies for almost any ride. For Immediate access to available sizes, lug patterns, offsets, accessories, measuring guides and specialty tire options; download our 2019 Wheel Catalog."

Thanks, I'll take a look at what they have.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MSP Dan said:

All I saw were 18's and up in their online catalog. Rather hit myself in the nuts with a 4lb shop hammer.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
if your good with torches and a welder anything is possible. my dad has a friend that use to do stuff like that when he was younger in his drive shed. he use to have a army truck that he custom welded some rims for so he could run a more common sized tire on it. apparently they even balanced perfectly but if you saw his property he was one of those guys who could build nearly anything. you should have seen his firewood processing trailer. i think it was at least 40' long and would handle almost anything you could cut down in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yup it was "normal" for me and my older brother to cut VW wheels in half , weld 2 up make 1 wide one , then weld centers in where we needed them . Before mig welders were around much . Boy iffin we only had a big lathe ...

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dodge82273 said:
yup it was "normal" for me and my older brother to cut VW wheels in half , weld 2 up make 1 wide one , then weld centers in where we needed them . Before mig welders were around much . Boy iffin we only had a big lathe ...
Fwiw the old stick machine you used probably gave better penetration. Our Miller wire machine at work won't pass a bend test, been several men tried it. They tried different gases, different wires, different techniques. Still failed.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
could be , brother HAD to get / use a mig on autobody/ unibody high strength brittle "new" sheetmetal , gas weld / braze became a No No ... only wire feed is saw used in construction was inner flux core just a continuous rod.... on heavy metal ...  me ? 7018 or better ..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.