Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1987 Ram Charger,  The stock vinyl seats don't recline or have arm rests. What kind of seats have some of you installed? ???

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
If you dig around you can find the stock style seats with arm rests and recliners.  They are more easily found in vans from what I have seen.

·
Registered
962 Posts
well most models of ramchargers have the arm rest atleast but i havent seen a ramcharger with reclining seats but i beleive the 90s style vans do but not 100% percent sure

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
'80s or '90s, either one.  Both use the same seats.  Look for loaded vans and the semi-conversion vans.  Full conversion vans typically have aftermarket captain's chairs.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Later RCs did come with reclining buckets.  Started in 89 or 90 I think.  Or like have been mentioned, full size vans.  You can also find some car seats that will bolt right in as well.  I've used reclining buckets out of a Dodge Omni before.  All you need is a tape measure to measure the mounting holes in the bottom of your seats where the seat adjuster bolts in and some time in a junkyard to find some you like.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Omni seats work?!?! I guess that when my Omni dies I know what I'm doing with the seats! I'm in need of new seats for my RC with a red interior, it just so happens that the Omni has a red interior as well. SWEET! ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
If the bucket seat is the same style high-back bucket seat, it should bolt onto a normal Ramcharger pedestal.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
also scoots recently discovered that the YJ (or was it TJ, get confuzzeled with jeeps) seats bolt right on ramchargers

·
Registered
399 Posts
can someone clarify if it is the TJ or YJ or CJ, because that means jeep aftermarket seats will fit and that opens up a huge selection.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
stock seats from a dodge van will bolt up but you will need to use your mounting hardware from the bottom of the seats for the new seats. your RC passenger seat has no seat tracks and van seats do. but the tracks will not bolt to your pedastles. so just remove the tracks and install the studs in the base of the seat. then bolt them in the truck. my advice is to look for the passenger seats from two seperate vans as they will not be worn as bad as driver seats. you can dye them to match your int.
you may have trouble finding them with arm rests. i could not find them with arm rests but it did not take me long to get over not having them in my RC. i salved the arm rest problem by building a new console that fits from the dash to the back of the front seats. it has 2 cup holders that actualy hold a cup in place. 2 extra power points and a place for my lap top with hiden storage bins.

·
Registered
962 Posts
who the heck would put 2 mismatched seats in there ramcharger thats ugly!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
becdino said:
you can get a set of ford power seats
That's a clean looking interior. What kind of mods did you have to do to make the ford seats fit?

How comfortable are they? My concern with using a newer style seat is that they are more firm than the older ones, which might be a problem with the stiff suspension on an older RC or pickup, where I think they used soft seats to supplement that stiff suspension.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have a great set on power leather buckets from a 01 Seabring coupe so the belts are on the car not in the door. They are very nice and comfortable not going in the Ram thou, will soon be in the Dart.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Becdino,

Can you post more pics of your rig?  I was looking at a set of those seats for mine.  Wasn't sure how well they would fit.  I would love to put a set of King Ranch seats but who is going to pay a grand for just the front seats!

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
My 84 RC (Royal SE) has buckets with arm rests, but they do not recline. Been wanting to upgrade to reclining seats, now I got some great ideas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just replaced my front seats with two from a 1989 Dodge van( Church van) I found in a salvage yard. ( Divine inspiration ) They are a perfect match to my originals with the exception of two minor details. 1. The passenger seat rear bolt holes on the track don't line up with factory holes in the pedestal, the original seat was stationary because of the flip forward pedestal. ( I took a half inch drill bit and solved that problem, simply mark the position of the studs protrusion and drill, JUST BE MINDFUL NOT TO LEAVE THE SEAT ADJUSTED ALL THE WAY BACK OR IT NOT ALLOW THE SEAT PEDESTAL TO LOCK IN PLACE.) 2.The color of the newer seats is ever so slightly darker than the stock. Other than those details I love the seats. I cleaned them with an upholstery cleaning machine and left them in the sun for a couple of hours and VOILA! just like new! They even have arm rests and zip up backs. A little narrower than the O.E.M. but I like the fit better. I have yet to see any RC seats that recline though.
Just an added tidbit. I also replaced the windshield sprayers with two from an 89 Dodge pickup. The ones on mine were the old copper tube type that "squirt" water onto the windshield. The newer ones "spray" the water in a fan onto it. (much better) All you have to do to change them out is get the water supply line gromets  and cowl with sprayers off the other truck and where your water lines lock onto the firewall, just remove the screw and pull them out and drill the hole out to a  1/2 inch hole to install the gromet and water lines. Cheap upgrade, but to me its worth it. I love the results.

·
Registered
263 Posts
my 84 ramcharger has buckets in it that recline but no armrests. and there is a big CS embroidered in the middle in white and blue where my back goes. so im guessing shelby seats. and passenger folds down and up so you can climb in the back. dunno if stock or added by previous owner, as he bought it off the floor and babied it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts