Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Ramcharger with a hole in the gas tank. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement besides junk yard or Aerotanks? Mine is the factory 35 gallon tank and is no longer available through the dealer. Aerotanks wants $517+shipping for a 40 gallon aftermarket tank that you have to replace the straps and sending unit to use. For everyone's info, remove the factory skid plate bracket on the rear of the skid plate. That's what cut through my tank in two places. I've had it repaired 3 times but nothing will hold. I'm going to try plastic welding if I can't find another tank. Also, I've had my frontend aligned, all tires balanced, driveshaft balanced, ujoints replaced, motor mount/tranny mounts replaced and still have this wobble in the front end like a tire is out of balance. I noticed that the strut rod bushings are in need of replacement. Anyone have any feed back on this problem? I'm hoping if I just rebuild the complete front end this will fix it. The shop that aligned the front said everything looked good, but they over looked the strut rods. Please email at [email protected] if you have any info.

Thanks, James

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
JC Whitney carrys gas tanks. As to the front end more info needed 2 wheel drive "Strut rods" or 4 wheel drive "Drive shaft" and at what speed is the wobble? Driving straight or turning?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Have you checked the tires for broken belts?

EZ

·
7,995 Posts
There may be a fuel tank for sale in our classified section...
or post a request there.

Or try www.car-part.com for a used one. Welding is about the only thing that might work givin the stress points of the area that you are having problems with. Need more info on the front end wobble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the fuel tank issue: I've checked with JC Whitney and the tanks are too generic and more expensive than what I've found. Unless I get a better suggestion I'm going to go with the welding approach.

For the wobble issue: I have checked the tires, 3 times!! They are in perfect shape. I figured the strut rod problem would give away it was a 2wd, but that's my fault. It's 2wd and it wobbles at about 55 mph and up. Don't really notice it turning, but on the highway I'm sure it does if I keep the speed up. I think I'm just going to completely rebuild the frontend and try a different shop to align it and hope it cures the problem. Hope someone still has an idea though.

James
"onephat66"

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
WEll could be as well the bushings in the A arms are shot along with the other parts being old and crusty like the ball joints and tie rod ends and as well as the steering shaft rag joint and loose steering gear box as welll .... You can get a Borgeson Steering shaft to replace the stocker for like 220 bucks from Summit of Jegs .

·
Registered
29,708 Posts
the only thing that wiil give a wobble at that speed is a tire out of balance/ l have a spare tank / IM me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know all these parts in the front end could be bad, but the front end is very tight with the exception of the strut rods. The steering isn't sloppy, I know the rag joint and steering box are in great shape. This is a vibration or wobble I'm feeling, not play in the steering. As far as the tires being out of balance I've ruled that out. I've had all 4 tires balanced at least 3 times, the last time on a Road Force balancer that checks run out, best location to index the tire and any other issue with a tire/rim combo. I stood right there and watched so I know it was done right, and I do know how to balance tires. The drive shaft isn't bent either. I had it professionally balanced by a very reputable drive shaft shop. I can't IM where I'm at BOGGER35, could you email me about the spare tank at: [email protected]

James

·
7,995 Posts
Is the wheel bearing end play correct? Bad strut rod bushings usually create a klunk when accelerating or stopping but anything is possible. The bushings are easy to replace and you can pick them up at any auto parts store. They come in the standard rubber and also in the polyurethane types. To replace them all you need to do is use a punch to knock out the roll pin thats in front of the nut. Then remove the nut, washer and front bushing. Then remove the bolts that hold the rear end of the strut rod and the rod should come right down. You might also want to find another alignment shop and have the front end checked out again...it can't hurt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wheel bearing end play is correct. This is a problem I had since I bought the truck and everything possible has been replaced that could cause the problem with the exception of body bushings, which is almost completely unlikely and any front end parts, except for new shocks. I've replaced all those parts I mentioned in my original message. I know how to do the work to rebuild the front end, that's not the problem because I'm extremely mechanically inclined as I'm a fighter jet mechanic and have been working on all of my own vehicles for the past 14 years or so. It's just figuring out this weird problem I'm asking for help with, as I've done everything else possible that would normally fix it. I'll just order a polygraphite kit from PST most likely and HOPE that is what the problem is. Also, the fuel tank I need MUST be from a '90-'93 5.2L or '91-'93 5.9L fuel injected Ramcharger. These are the only tanks that will work, period. Thanks for anyone with info on the others, they just won't work. The fuel pump hole is different on the different years.

onephat66

·
7,995 Posts
Gas Tank...the most reasonable course of action would be to have it welded. Next step I would take is to replace it with a salvage yard tank or possibly look into reiforcing the weld with a fiberglass/epoxy patch or something similar.

Front end wobble...at this point I would replace the strut rod bushings first and take it for a test drive. If that doesnt work than a complete front end rebuild including all rubber, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.

Some more thoughts...try having someone spin balance the wheels/tires ON the RC and watch the reaction from the fenders/frame. Take the RC to a frame shop and have them go over the entire frame and look for loose rivets in crossmembers or for something bent in the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts