Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
You will have to either replace your left rotor, or have it turned by a brake shop. Did you do your rear brakes as well?

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Shonobie said:
Nope, they're fine. (I hope)

I just replaced my pads on the front two.
Which would be cheaper? Turned or a new one? I still have to buy my books for this semester.
Turned should run you about $20 or so, at any brake shop. If your brakes are still grinding, then it is probably your rear drums. Are you hearing metal to metal screeching?
Your rear brakes are very easy to check though, just yank the tire, and the drum slides right off (in a perfect world).

·
Registered
936 Posts
grinding is bad........

yea, check the rear brakes. You should be able to hear where the sound is comming from front or rear...LISTEN!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Don't know about the $20...........most places charge extra for having to do 4x4 rotors off the solid axles like this because of having to dis-assemble the hubs. Might be more like $50-$60 a side, unless you take them off on your own & take them in loose.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
luke9-1-1 said:
Don't know about the $20...........most places charge extra for having to do 4x4 rotors off the solid axles like this because of having to dis-assemble the hubs. Might be more like $50-$60 a side, unless you take them off on your own & take them in loose.
There are a couple places in fresno that advertize turning rotors while they are still on the vehicle. Call around for prices.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always take the rotors off myself and just take them to Auto Zone. Here in Memphis, the Zone only charges $6 each.

But I make sure that I watch the employee while he turns them. That's just to make sure that I'm satisfied with them and that they don't drop em or bang em against anything. Rotors stand a good chance of getting warped if dropped.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
SortaRican said:
But I make sure that I watch the employee while he turns them. That's just to make sure that I'm satisfied with them and that they don't drop em or bang em against anything. Rotors stand a good chance of getting warped if dropped.

Gonzo
The only thing they stand if dropped is cracking, and you really have to try to do that.

Did you check your rear drums, sometimes it can sound like the front and be the back, or something may have popped off in the drum.
If you replaced both sides in the front even though you just threw pads on over a scarred rotor it shouldn't grind so continue to look else where for your problem, or possibly check your front pads again and see if you didn't get a faulty pad and it's material just didn't break off the steel backing, i have seen it happen so don't think it can't

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
How far did you drive on the new pads? If you put new pads on messy rotors, chances are the pads are starting to grind away to match the rotors, and will still make noise after you reface the rotor. You might just want to eat the $40 and buy another new set, so you start fresh. The shop I take my rotors to charges $15 a side for rotors and $10 a side for drums. Oh, 1 more thing - Make sure you put the anti-rattle clips back on...

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Remember what I told you the other day alex? You need to have both rotors turned or replaced and then you will probably have to replace your brake pads again. Don't forget to use the antisqueak stuff that comes with the pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts