Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? this is weird ive a got 1993 w250 ctd, and i have a spongy brake pedal. every-time i hit the breaks the abs/e break light comes on. i check the master and the larger fluid reservoir is over-filler and the smaller reservoir (front one) is low. and it has a puddle of break fluid underneath it. i believe it is leaking as i drive as well. i looked at the lines and it is not leaking anywhere just outta the master. what i think is happening is all the fluid is returning to the larger fluid reservoir. what can be causing this? btw i just replaced the master, and in the last year and a half i have replaced rear wheel cylinders, front calipers and the booster.

edited title - "breaks" to "brakes" -Doc

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a master cylinder. It's leaking back through the push rod seal. :-\

The spongy feeling is air in the lines OR a bad master cylinder.  {yes}

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just replaced the master when this problem started. it is still doing it. the fluid is leaking out of the top of the master. i filled the mater and i left it low, now when i take the cap off the fluid pours out.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Sounds like you got a bad one.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Elwenil said:
Sounds like you got a bad one.
X2 I have the same thing on my CTD and need to get a replacement also. :-\

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mopar65pa said:
X2 I have the same thing on my CTD and need to get a replacement also. :-\
i replaced the master like a year ago. then this problem started, i replaced it again and nothing changed. is there any thing else it could be? or could i have gotten 2 bad masters??

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
To test the master you are supposed to remove the rear brake line, install plug, slightly press brake pedal, then tighten plug and see if the brake pedal can still be easily depressed further. Obviously a 2 man operation.

If it continues to go soft, the master is in fact bad. If not, see my above commentary.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
To test the master you are supposed to remove the rear brake line, install plug, slightly press brake pedal, then tighten plug and see if the brake pedal can still be easily depressed further. Obviously a 2 man operation.

If it continues to go soft, the master is in fact bad. If not, see my above commentary.
is that the part that is on the rear drivers side frame rail?

·
Registered
106 Posts
could be a bad proportioning valve or something ive only seen once before a line that got pinched off and as a result the pressure build up damaged the master cyl and caused the fluid to backfeed into one of the master cyl chambers this was on the main line that feeds both rears . it could also be a prob with the abs though . I know chrysler had probs with the brakes failing on occasion on the older abs when it would malfunction . another area to check is the brake hoses which sometimes go soft and swell under pressure causing a spongy pedal but it would not cause the prob your having with the fluid filling up the other chamber .  Right now im leaning more towards the abs system so after a complete hydraulic system check as far as lines hoses and everything attached I would look at the abs very carefully and test everything on it and replace any bad or questionable parts . Brakes are one thing I do not shortcut or take chances with because you are putting your life and everyone else driving around you in danger the same goes for suspension and steering they are the only systems that give you control of the vehicle so I would rather spend money that isnt necessary to replace a part your unsure of rather than shortcut and have it fail and kill yourself or someone else

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Studie said:
where is the proportioning valve located??
On the frame under you master cylinder. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts