Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 81 d-150 stepside truck
It came with a 318 but PO swapped this for a supercharged 440.
Not surprisingly, I am having trouble making this beast stop.
It does not have power brakes right now because the PO said the booster wont fit with the big block. I researched and figure I can use a power master cyl from a 76 truck with a 400 and it should fit.

But I am having trouble figuring out if there are some bigger brakes I can go with from the factory or if the ones I have on there are as good as it gets. I cant afford new aftermarket brakes so I want to source the biggest oe rotors and calipers that will fit. I run 15" wheels.

Any suggestions on rotor size, were the rotors from the 76 with the big block any bigger? If so will they fit.

Thanks in advance

DrWheelie

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The stock rotors should work fine with the BB power booster. Have you considered putting disc's on the rear?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Several things to check. Are the back brakes 10" or 11"? The 11" will swap right onto the axle. OR $$$ go disk rear? Type of front disk pad now using? I went with Performance Friction Carbon Metalics, Flush the brake fluid, replace with Castrol LMA dot4. Are the backs adjusted correctly now?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
rear discs are freaking cheap man. but on a big block truck i think the front is what needs the power, not that rear wont help.

you have a 81 d150 so no problem finding aftermarket dsic brake for rear. 86 and up, or 4x4 is the harder one to find.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The stock calipers/rotors on my '87 BARELY clear 15" rims (maybe 1/16" clearance between rim & rotor), I can't imagine anything bigger fitting inside a 15" rim (if they are even available)

-SM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts