Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally got back to messing with the trail duster today and i think i figured out why the rear drums won't come off. the drum is rusted onto the center hub real good.i tried heating it up with a torch and then whacking the drum but the bastard still won't budge. any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well what i have done in the past is take some LIQUID WRENCH or Mopar MP-50 and blast the hub center and drum in that area real good and let it sit for a few hours.... then make sure the brake shoes are fully retracted... 3LB sledgehammers do wonders for removing brake drums:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
ZEP, more torch, 8lb hammer. either that, or you can wak it with yer purse. lol

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
worse comes to warse u cna pull the whole friggin axle shaft out and then beat i to death . I would think if u get some PB Blaster and shoot it up and let it soak for a good 4 hours then make usre u gotthe shoes loosesned by undoiung the star wheel behingd the drum it's at the top . then beat the snot out of it .

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't see how the rust could hold it together that tight. After a torch and BIG hammer it should have broke loose. My guess is the shoes may have wore a groove in the drums and that is what is holding it up. I had this problems with a furd 9". I took some pry bars and just wedge the whole thing out. I had to replace the springs and everything but it worked. You could also try a die grinder with a cut off wheel.

·
Registered
780 Posts
where were you hitting with the hammer?? If you hit the top of the drum, not in an off ward direction, just down on the top, usually the resonance will break the rust.
C.J.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok first question, is your emergency brake on? this will bind the drum and no matter what amount of beating you do it aint coming off.

second, is the shoe fully retracted? if not this will stop it from coming off.

third if both one and two are not the cause, then there should be two holes in the drum, about 5/16, get some bolts about 6 inches long that thread into these holes and alternate tightening them, this should pop it off of there.

hope that helps

eric

·
Registered
123 Posts
hey if all else fails i have an entire rc rear w/ a nice new 600 doller rear disc brake kit /w parking brake from tsm on it that i'm selling or i could just sell the kit and junk the rear either way i'd take 400 for it i'm only gettin rid of it cause my front 5 lug axel took a royal f-ing dump and i went up to dana 60s front and rear Just e-mail me at [email protected] if you or any one is interisted in it.

Ps. I know that it really belongs in the classifieds but for some reason i cant get into my account and i thought that cince your in the middle of drum brake hell you might just want to get rid of them all together trust me i know the pain hell i spent 600 bucks just so i didnt have to deal w/ all those wonderful springs lol

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'll try hitting the top of it with a hammer,if that don't work i'll try threading the bolts in. i want to upgrade to rear discs in the future but right now i just want to get the thing running and driving (and stopping too) so i can pick up the ladies this summer ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
NOTABLAZER said:
i'll try hitting the top of it with a hammer,if that don't work i'll try threading the bolts in. i want to upgrade to rear discs in the future but right now i just want to get the thing running and driving so i can pick up the ladies this summer
when ya get it off nick, let us know how long it was before oyu released the emergency brake!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
NOTABLAZER said:
i know for sure the e-brake isn't on. the pedal is all the way up.
just cuz the pedal is up does not mean that the cable didnt sieze up in the on position, might want to check it out.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Ya yank that parking brake cable off if i t will come off soak it and it should .

·
7,995 Posts
Some generic instructions but it shows the picture of the adjusters being backed off.:)

Brake Drum Removal

Raise vehicle on hoist or jacks and install jack stands for safety.
Remove wheel and tire assembly.
Remove axle shaft nuts, washers and cones. Rap axle shaft sharply in center to release cones if they do not readily release.
Remove axle shaft.
Remove outer hub nut. Straighten lock washer, remove it, remove inner nut and bearing. Carefully remove drum.
CAUTION: If there is interference between brake shoes and drum, remove hole cover and using a screwdriver and light piece of metal, release brake shoes (Fig 5).

Fig 5 Releasing Automatic Adjuster

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok me and my neighbor were able to remove them today. what we did was use a scissors jack against the leaf spring to kind of push the drum out. then i smacked the drum with a hammer and it popped right off. now the rest of the brake work should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
not to sound like a salesman or anything but if those drums turn out to be uncutable and you need to replace them i think there like almost 100 bucks each least in nj they are lol then add in the shoes springs and possable the slave cylinders and your almost up to 300 bucks i'll sell ya that rear disc kit for 400 it cost me almost 700 and it was only used for a month

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i got some good drums on a parts truck so i'm probably gonna use those,and i work at a parts store so that should help with the cost of the other parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts