Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put disk on the rear of my RC.
since I have an automatic trans what are there any pro's and cons of using chevy front calipers over the caddy calipers.

If I go with the front calipers I would also use a line lock for a ebrake on the trail and just use park for keeping it in my driveway.

Help me make up my mind

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Another option are the rear calipers on some of the new trucks. They have a drum built inside the rotor for the parking brake. My cummins has this setup. I am sure the cost quite a bit more, but you know it won't be hard to find parts for it.

·
3,752 Posts
One thing you don't want a line lock exactly, a line lock has to have electrical power to hold the pressure, if you leave it over night= dead battery, plus I don't think they are rated for constant duty. You either want a MICO lock that draws no power with the key off or the Jamar manual valve that JC Whitney sells. Down side to the elect. MICO is $, the Jamar requires brake lines run in the cab. I've had both and prefer the MICO, much eaiser & cleaner install. Can't help on caliper choice, never run any with integral parking brake only because rumor had it they don't stay adjusted very well on the Caddy calipers but I don't know first hand.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I used the caddy ones on my truck to keep the ebrake functional.

I went to the jy and got a set for 50 bcuks to use as a core. Saved over 130 bucks vice no core.

Make sure you get all fittings, brackets, bolts/spacers & springs off the cores, as the new ones won't have them most likely.

Also, make sure you read the product review & service reviews first for TSM.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have decided to go ahead and try using the caddy calipers since I like having a parking brake on the trail.
since I am being a lazy I am going to be using the TSM brackets. but that is all I have everything else like hoses and such. I'm not too worried about service since I can drive to there shop and pick my parts up so I am not anticipating any problems there. It is pretty hard to ignore someone standing in front of you. Thanks for all of your input.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
if you want a heavy duty brake lock that requires no power talk to Ramminator. he has a really cool 4wheel brake lock that works excellent. he could prolly give you the name of the setup or maybe a little info on it

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I just shut my truck off and leave it in gear to park, on the trail and off the trail

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You probably wouldn't want to do that here. Some spots are pretty steep and some of the trails are very narrow shelf roads. if someone ahead of you breaks down you don't allways get to choose where you park.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I gotta colapsable wheel chock right beside my seat too if need be

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
That will HELP, but I learned this weekend, my S.5 will roll right over mine!! with bigger tires I think I need a taller chock!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i Used the Caddy Calipers for the rear on the rc and they stop very very good no problems

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I got them on, but I'm not sure it stops any quicker. Seem to have a hard time getting the parking brake to stay adjusted too.

All new brake lines, e brake lines, calipers, pads, and master cylinder...but she still don't stop as well as I'd like. Will barely try to lock them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts