Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have called every major supplier i could think of and even stooped to rockauto and partsgeek.  Cannot find a brake booster (83 D150)

What is going on?

Anyone know a source for a reman?

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
auto zone lists "Duralast Remanufactured Brake Power Booster 54-73360"  But with the luck people have been having, it is probably wrong.

·
Registered
649 Posts
http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/

These guys can rebuild our boosters, but have a four week turnaround and want something like $225 for a rebuild. I got lucky and found a good one in my local boneyard, but I have three bad ones stockpiled and waiting to send out to be rebuilt. Still, what are you going to do when parts dry up?

·
Registered
432 Posts
What is out there along the lines of upgrades?
In the event you need one, but can’t find one, what could a guy upgrade to?

·
Registered
649 Posts
The 250/350 booster upgrade is what I have read about, but those are unavailable, too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I found several vendors who said they had boosters in stock until you actually tried to buy one.  Then, suddenly, the boosters were out of stock.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was looking for a reman booster for a 3/4-1 ton truck. I found a used one that works.
OP is looking for oe replacement booster for 1983 D150

EddieK,further research on those boosters with/without master cylinders will reveal they're all Cardone reman units as are the ones sold by CarQuest Autozone,O'Reillys,Pep Boys,Napa RockAuto and others i'm sure.
45+ years in automotive trade,i have come to look upon Cardone reman products-all of them to be at bottom of rebuilt parts chain and avoid them. The fact that all currently available reman boosters are Cardone units is not a coincidence.
If you are in a bind and need your vehicle asap, take a chance on one,you may get a good one. My truck is not a DD so i have time to look for alternatives.
It is remarkable,in the time i have reasearched compatability of larger truck booster swap to mine,all other and a number of Cardone remans have disappeared,out of stock. On RA website,the send your booster in to be rebuilt option which is the way i intended to go once i got a used one,also disappeared.
Doing more research,i have found several more competent rebuilders and some i wouldn't trust just from limited interaction with them,there are yet some options to us.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
modelcitizen said:
I was looking for a reman booster for a 3/4-1 ton truck. I found a used one that works.
OP is looking for oe replacement booster for 1983 D150
Sorry, my bad. Brain cramps is the best excuse I can think of. I removed my post.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SuperBurban said:
Sorry, my bad. Brain cramps is the best excuse I can think of. I removed my post.
Perhaps not... What is involved with a 250-350 swap? just bolt it in and go? Can it use a 150 master or does it need a 250-350 specific unit?

I am open.
Reed said:
I found several vendors who said they had boosters in stock until you actually tried to buy one. Then, suddenly, the boosters were out of stock.
Exactly the problem. Everyone shows them available but when you go to put money towards the part you find they are all backordered.
Reed said:
http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/

These guys can rebuild our boosters, but have a four week turnaround and want something like $225 for a rebuild. I got lucky and found a good one in my local boneyard, but I have three bad ones stockpiled and waiting to send out to be rebuilt. Still, what are you going to do when parts dry up?
Thank you, i will check this out as well

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
hemitheus said:
Perhaps not... What is involved with a 250-350 swap? just bolt it in and go? Can it use a 150 master or does it need a 250-350 specific unit?
It depends on the years. Between the 70's, and 80's they went from a bolt to a stud with a clip, or the other way, I don't remember. But within the same year, the boosters are a bolt in swap. From one decade to the other, is not hard, but the easiest way is to swap the brake pedal at the same time.

Will the master fit? again, different for the years. My 85 I did years ago, the 1.2 ton, was a bolt on deal. Some early 70's, the 1/2 tons have 4 bolts, so obviously will not fit.

The best way is to go to Rock auto, or almost any site, and see if they list the same master for both the 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton. For the little extra price, I just swap the master at the same time.

All my trucks and RC, have been converted to the 80 whatever, to 93 booster, and the cast iron master. That way I have extras of everything but the booster on my shelf, for spares. Now I'm getting worried that I should look out for a few spare boosters.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SuperBurban said:
It depends on the years. Between the 70's, and 80's they went from a bolt to a stud with a clip, or the other way, I don't remember. But within the same year, the boosters are a bolt in swap. From one decade to the other, is not hard, but the easiest way is to swap the brake pedal at the same time.

Will the master fit? again, different for the years. My 85 I did years ago, the 1.2 ton, was a bolt on deal. Some early 70's, the 1/2 tons have 4 bolts, so obviously will not fit.

The best way is to go to Rock auto, or almost any site, and see if they list the same master for both the 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton. For the little extra price, I just swap the master at the same time.

All my trucks and RC, have been converted to the 80 whatever, to 93 booster, and the cast iron master. That way I have extras of everything but the booster on my shelf, for spares. Now I'm getting worried that I should look out for a few spare boosters.
Showing a pic of the 82 250 I have. The only real difference i see between this pic and the truck in question (83 150) is the 250 has a thicker booster.

So more volume of vacuum more stopping power I assume is the concept?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
dual diaphragms give added surface area for the vacume to "act" upon over the single diaphragm . some manufactures "can" designs are different as well .

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
hemitheus said:
Showing a pic of the 82 250 I have. The only real difference i see between this pic and the truck in question (83 150) is the 250 has a thicker booster.

So more volume of vacuum more stopping power I assume is the concept?
As Dodge 82273 says, the 3/4 and 1 ton boosters have a dual diaphragm, essentially making two boosters in one. They are slightly smaller diameter, but if you calculate the surface area, minus the small open section in the center, they come to close to double the surface area. a noticeable difference at the pedal.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have an 82 RC and a 76 D100.  I just swapped a original but good booster from a junked 86 D250 into my RC.  The 82 had the bolt on the brake pedal and the 86 had the stud and clip.  I switched the 82 to the brake pedal out of a 90 D250 becuase the dash was gone and it was easier to get to.  The 86 booster matched my 82 aluminum master cylinder but has the later stud and clip brake pedal setup. 

I am still going to send out my original boosters for the 76 and the 82 to get rebuilt just to have spares.  As soon as I have the money, that is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
EDDIEK said:
This thing runs off of power steering, and a little pricey... someone was asking , what you could upgrade to, if the boosters are no longer available..See under PRODUCT DESCRIPTION.. They say it can be adapted to classic trucks etc.. . see below text and hyperlink.. EDDIEK

Power Brake Service Hydro-Boost Brake Booster for Dodge Truck Ram with 1.250 Master Cyl, Cummins Diesel
by SPEED Manufacturing
Be the first to review this item
Available from these sellers.
NEW! 1,200 to 2,000 pounds of pressure, and not susceptible to low vacuum issues Made in USA 1 Year Warranty Compact Size See more product details
Compare with similar items
New (1) from $525.00 + $9.49 shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Service-Hydro-Boost-Booster-Master-Cummins/dp/B00BMVJX2M
That's interesting. But it sound like it would kick you right in the wallet.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes , those systems have been around for years , some like a 1978 gmc 1 ton used an accumulator to hold a reserve stop in case of p/s failure , newer international 1 1/2 tons use a small electric motor/pump in the event of p/steering failure . all can be mounted used on a dodge .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
EDDIEK said:
This thing runs off of power steering, and a little pricey... someone was asking , what you could upgrade to, if the boosters are no longer available..See under PRODUCT DESCRIPTION.. They say it can be adapted to classic trucks etc.. . see below text and hyperlink.. EDDIEK

Power Brake Service Hydro-Boost Brake Booster for Dodge Truck Ram with 1.250 Master Cyl, Cummins Diesel
by SPEED Manufacturing
Be the first to review this item
Available from these sellers.
NEW! 1,200 to 2,000 pounds of pressure, and not susceptible to low vacuum issues Made in USA 1 Year Warranty Compact Size See more product details
Compare with similar items
New (1) from $525.00 + $9.49 shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Service-Hydro-Boost-Booster-Master-Cummins/dp/B00BMVJX2M
Hydroboost. Yup. I put hydroboost in my scamp. It's great. But this truck doesnt need that much. I'm going to find a dual diaphragm 250 setup. Just a little better pedal feel is plenty

·
Registered
649 Posts
The last "remanufactured" cardone brake booster I tried in my 82 RC was junk.  It made the brakes self-apply at speeds over 12 MPH.  Almost put me through the windshield twice in the one block I travelled away from home.  I will never put a cardone part on my vehicles again.  You may have better results.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Without hitting a junk yard, does any one have a way to get dimensions of other boosters. Just thinking about what it would take to mount a booster from a later 90's, or 00's 3/4 or 1 ton dodge.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.