Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New kid on the block got a ramcharger and is blowing me up with questions.. anyways would a 1ton booster and master cylinder help with running 35s on a half ton?

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
There's a little bit more boost from the dual diaphragm (3/4 and 1 ton use same booster), but actual braking is from the calipers/shoes. Making sure rotors were turned before installing new pads would be the best he could do on a simple level. Next step would be the hydroboost mod, but that is uncommon and $$. Bigger brakes come on the Dana 60 axles.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
There is a noticeable difference when swapping to a 3/4 or 1 ton booster. You can gain a tiny bit more from the rear brakes, by going to a size larger wheel cylinder.

I would aim for 8 lug axles, and the bigger brakes they come with. But the master, & booster are a simple way to get a slight boost in the mean time.

Quality pads and shoes are another thing to look at. Are ceramic linings worth the extra money? I have never used them, so I can't say. Parts stores generally have 3 levels of linings, Many years ago, I compared the lowest against the middle, and have stuck with the middle grade since. Are they still the same, I do not know, but I will not get the cheapest ones again.

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
SuperBurban said:
There is a noticeable difference when swapping to a 3/4 or 1 ton booster.
I noticed an improvement, but I wouldn't call it dramatic.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
I noticed an improvement, but I wouldn't call it dramatic.
Somehow I posted before finishing the post.

That along with quality linings, are probably the best under $200 brake investment you can do. Hydraboost is not a bolt on deal, and can bring in other issues. Bigger brakes, are the ultimate answer.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Disc brake or 8 lug swap.  It's probably the only easy way you are going to see a significant increase in braking power.  But honestly, the stock 1/2 ton brakes suck something awful, but they are adequate to stop a lifted truck, but it's not going to stop like a new one.  Braking standards were different then and a truck was expected to act like a truck, not a minivan like today.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I’ve heard of a few people having issues with disk brake conversions, as the rear wheels may behave too tight.
You may have to figure out how to adjust your master cylinder to back the rears off a bit if it has an issue skidding.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Any time you do a rear disc conversion on a rear drum brake vehicle you are going to have to use an adjustable proportioning valve.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
Any time you do a rear disc conversion on a rear drum brake vehicle you are going to have to use an adjustable proportioning valve.
Yep.
As far as selection for pads/ shoes... look to Rock Auto. Those guys have an unbelievable selection of options for those replacement parts. All the way to cheapy imported junk to high quality made in the U.S.A. more expensive parts.
I've been running a Chevy/ Ford hybrid disc brake set up on my front Dana 44 for at least 36 years now. With the Chevy calipers and pads I now have a choice of 38 different pads to choose from! Ranging in price from $7.00 to $50.78.
Now not knowing exactly what your part would be... being a Dodge... I'm sure the part choices will be a little bit more limited. But you'll have way more there at Rock Auto than any local parts store could offer.
Get the best to help any little bit better than before.

edit: I just did a quick check on Rock Auto for a '78 Ramcharger (not knowing what you have) there's 28 different choices of pads for the front disc brakes. Prices starting at $4.29 cheapies. To $47.79 for some high quality pads.
Speed the money where it counts.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
84ram78cj said:
New kid on the block got a ramcharger and is blowing me up with questions.. anyways would a 1ton booster and master cylinder help with running 35s on a half ton?
I put a '90 D250 (cummins) dual-diaphragm booster and master into my '90 RC.... after deleting the ABS valve, and re&re of the crusty prop. valve. Definite improvement with the D60's I swapped in first.

Hydroboost isn't a huge ordeal to install. A great upgrade for sure.... had a number of Chevies with it; converted my F350; and will be going that route on my '84 Ramcharger. Good info here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/gm-hydro-boost-brakes-for-newbies-like-me.137837/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.