Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Well, I really messed up this time. I was changing the thermostat, one of the bolts for the housing snapped off, I drilled it out and tried to use an easy out to remove it, THE DAMN EASY OUT SNAPPED OFF IN THE HOLE! Now I can't get it out and those things are way to hard to drill through. So, unless anyone here has any ideas, I guess I will be buying a new intake manifold now. :-\ If anyone knows where I can buy one realitively cheap, please let me know.

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
use a very small drill bit and drill up the side of the easy out / you will gte it out this way / then just drill it out to the next bolt size and use a heli-coil to fix it

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Can you get a pair of vise grips on the broken end of the EZ-out?

-SM

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could try the drill bit thing, vise-grips are out, not enough to grab onto.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Try to tap the easy out backwards with a punch and hammer. You should be able to back it out. I have done it and this has alwasy worked for me. Were there is a will there is a way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The easy out is not if the "screw" type. It has vertical splines that are supposed to grab the bolt. So, I think using a punch and hammer to "back"it out may not be possible either. I did try somethong like that and I think it only embedded it further into the hole.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the case I do have to get a new one, does anyone know where I could get one?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Get it cold (set part in freezer for a couple hours is best, but if still on the engine set some ice in a baggy on it for a while) and take a sharp/pointed punch and a BFH and give it a whack. Many times you can shatter the ez-out because it is so hard & brittle.

-SM

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a new manifold if I happen to need one?

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you really need to get a manifold try the junkyard, E-bay, summit, Jegs and so on. You should be able to get the EZ out and bolt out. Try using a Dremmel tool with a small ball mill attached to it. Then slowly grind out all of the EZ out until just the original broken bolt is left. Then you can get a new EZ out to remove the broken bolt. After you have removed the broken EZ out you can use the ball mill to clean up the hole where the EZ out was. Also spray some PB Blaster or other penetrating oil on the broken bolt and let it sit for a while to aid in removal. Just take your time, it gets frustrating, you shouldn’t need to spend the money on a new intake.

Streak-O-Lean

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
jharn said:
Does anyone know where I can get a new manifold if I happen to need one?
2bbl or 4bbl? small block or big block? stock or aftermarket?

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
while i am thinking about it, if you have a dremel tool, go down and buy a diamond tip bit set, you can drill out the eazy out with one of those, just take your time so you dont overheat the bit and it will work

eric

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a dremel drill and some burr bits, I may be able to get to it with that. As far as the intake, if I need a new one, I've called a few junkyards and this particular manifold is hard to find. It is the throttle body intake and no ne seems to have it. That is why I was asking on this list, because there are a lot of people out there with a lot of contacts. I do not necessarily need a custom one, just one that would replace the one that I dicked up.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
jharn said:
I have a dremel drill and some burr bits, I may be able to get to it with that. As far as the intake, if I need a new one, I've called a few junkyards and this particular manifold is hard to find. It is the throttle body intake and no ne seems to have it. That is why I was asking on this list, because there are a lot of people out there with a lot of contacts. I do not necessarily need a custom one, just one that would replace the one that I dicked up.
those burr bits will not hardly even dent that eazy out, you will need a diamond point bit.

eric

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can I find one at the auto parts store or the hardware store?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
jharn said:
Can I find one at the auto parts store or the hardware store?
might be able to find some at the parts store, every once in a while walmart will have some on sale, if neither of those work then most any tool store will have them.

eric

·
Registered
30,032 Posts
just drill the fork out of it like l said a while ago and be done with it / l,m loosing it / all this typing / you could have drilled a well diggers ASS out by now and thats deep

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you have access to a welder center a nut on the bolt/easyout and weld it on the inside. The heat from welding should help break up the rust on the bolt and make it all come out together.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My brother broke off a bolt on the plenum gasket taking it off - no kidding....then proceeded to do exactly what your did. After putzing with it for 10 min i just carefully drilled a very small pilot hole in the center of the easy out with a *quallity* bit and some cutting fluid. Easy outs are HARD (and brittle as we both now know ;-)) Then just proceeded up the tray of drill bits until i used a bit nearly the diameter of the bolt. The whole thing just fell out. Then ran tap to clean it up a bit or in your case you might want to helicoil if your in doubt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts