Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
In my opinion, it's not worth the time or effort. The frame is pretty stout as it is.

Ed

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Your frame is made up of two C channels which run the length of the truck. Boxing the frame is simply adding material on the open end of the "C" to close it in or box it.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Boxing a frame helps tremendously on flexing of the frame. Most trucks dont' ever need it and hard to do with gas tank and body in place. I am thinking about doing it to my old truck since it has no gas tank and bed on it right now. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
best wear gloves, boxing the frame would be tough on the knuckles

anyways, my 85 has some heavy plate welded to the outside of the frame rails I assume to strengthen it up. I'm sure same basic goal as boxing the frame, but easier but not as cool. But I can see closing the C being stronger. Haven't seen any signs of frame damage, so I'm guessing the USDA did it when they had their hydraulic core smapler mounted to it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
well i helped box a 78 ford 1/2 ton frame and it made it strong but as for frame flex well there wasnt any, we added alot of weight and i found it rather piontless in the end.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have done it and it did really make the frame a lot stoughter. If I was going to do it again I would only do it in the places that would make a difference like at the steering box but it does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I did mine, it added about 20-30 pounds. The bare frame will flex nearly twelve (TWELVE!) inches. After I boxed mine it flexes about TWO inches. Is it stronger; no doubt in my mind. And less than fifty pounds additional, no big deal.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
57plymouth said:
I did mine, it added about 20-30 pounds. The bare frame will flex nearly twelve (TWELVE!) inches. After I boxed mine it flexes about TWO inches. Is it stronger; no doubt in my mind. And less than fifty pounds additional, no big deal.
Exactly how did you get it to flex 12 inches?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Frame flex is part of the design. If the frame was rigid, it would crack instead of flex. OTOH, excessive frame flex isn't desirable as it can lead to sloppy handling. The frame can get excessive flex from years of use. What typically happens is all the rivets that hold the frame and crossmembers tend to wear out or wallow out their holes, this can cause the frame components to move more than they did when they were new and tight. Also rusty frames can weaken and flex.

Ed

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
With the frame resting on four jack stands, pick up one corner, then measure how high that corner rises before another comes off the stands. My truck is 2wd, so frame flex is not that good. I welded everythig solid when I boxed it in so it is tough as nails.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think the engineering term is "end fixity" and I have done something similar to my frame. Had gussets welded from the frame rails to the crossmember for added strength and rigidity. By itself it does not seem to help much but when done together with other small modifications it makes a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts