Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Bow tie axles?

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  TheSasquach 
#1 ·
im considering getting a chevy from the military in order to get the D60 out of it ........ other than possably relocating the spring perches are there any other differences im going to run into? David

#2 ·
Depending on which steering arm you use the Chevy is usually a bigger tie rod end than the Dodge, but with aftermarket arms and cross-over this is a moot point. I think the brake line coming down from the crossmember is the same thread but it has been several years since I did mine. The bigger 60 calipers usually require a larger bore master cylinder to have good pedal feel but not always. Drive shaft mods depend on if you lift it enough to make up for the bigger 60 housing.

#4 ·
All the Chevy military 60's should come as 4.56 and open carrier, unless someone changed it after the military got it.

#8 ·
Im planing to bid on some from military directly. .......... im fairly positive all military trucks use 4.56 gears. the ones im looking at are scrap vheciles from the army. found them on this site. http://www.govliquidation.com/ . i found 5 for sale at a base less than 100 miles from me. i'll bid what i can pay and see what happens. ...... if i can pick one or two for a coupple hundred bucks then that'll save me over the $800 to $1500 i have seen D60's selling for around here. David

#9 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
You don't need to relocate the spring perches, the difference isn't enough to warrant that.
True, I never did but I'm sure it added to my very accelerated rate of deterioration on spring eye and frame bushings. :p

#10 ·
Flake said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:
You don't need to relocate the spring perches, the difference isn't enough to warrant that.
True, I never did but I'm sure it added to my very accelerated rate of deterioration on spring eye and frame bushings. :p
polly bushings would prob help that. David

#11 ·
thesasquach said:
Flake said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:
polly bushings would prob help that. David
Unfortunately no, they were poly, just too much weight too far out and the bushings are too small in the first place. Dodge should have used 1.5" OD bushings not 1". Oh well, guess I'll see if my Orbit eye Alcan springs eliminate my problem. Good luck with the bidding.

#12 ·
Here's what i can remember having to do when I swapped in my millitary D-60:
New U-bolts, should be replaced when swapping an axle anyway I suppose
For the brakelines, I welded a stud onto the axle and just used the factory dodge flex hose from the engine crossmember to the axle. From there I ran steel tubing to the spring perches where I made a bracket that held the chevy rubber hoses.
I had to make new frame shock mounts to move the shocks slightly to clear the steering arm.
For the drag link I had to lengthened the stock chevy piece by about two inches.
To accept the chevy drag link the pitman arm had to have the taper enlarged.
The pinion on the D-60 sticks out farther, so you could probably just shorten your driveshaft. I took a dodge driveshaft and cut out the CV, so it just has a single u-foint at each end now, and lengthened it. This is not ideal, and will be fixed soon.
I did not relocate the spring perches, and so far I have not had any problems with bushings wearing out.

Craig

#13 ·
All i did to mine was make new brake lines, run from center out, used the chevy drag link and lengthend it about 3 inches and retappered the pitman arm to fit.

ANd no all military Dana 60's were not open diff's, the one that carried shelters had a limited slip diff in them, the best way to tell them is look for the tie brackets in the bed, you cant miss them, big ole half moon shaped brackets that bolt in and take bed space, thats a good start, unless you know how to read the military data plate, then look for the M1028, shelter carrier, they all had the limited slip diff in them.

the rear swap was about as easy just relocated the spring pads and reran the brake lines.

hope this helps , good luck on the bidding

Rider

#14 ·
almost for got all military dana 60's came with 4.56 gears, like was said earlier they were not interested in speed, they were looking for grunt and pulling power.

Also when looking for the shelter carrier, look for the ones with the 2 or 3 inch channel across the front of the bed, its part of the tie down kit for the shelters, unless someone has taken it out.

Rider

Also be aware of the duallies, the have a dana 60 front also but has 513 gears and the duallie spacer and bolt pattern

#17 ·
Kinda off topic with what you guys are talking about, But I have a buddy with a 82 or 83 K-20 chevy, I am pretty sure it is a dana front and a 14 bolt rear, I am after the lower gears, I am sure it is at least 3.73's.

I have the damned old 3.55 in my 91 w-150, and want to get lower, I can buy both axles for about $300, wheels included.

In your opinions, should I just replace the ring and pinnions in my axles, or buy the other axles? I already am running 16" tires so that isnt a problem.

any ideas are great!

#19 ·
ksplowboy1976 said:
Kinda off topic with what you guys are talking about, But I have a buddy with a 82 or 83 K-20 chevy, I am pretty sure it is a dana front and a 14 bolt rear, I am after the lower gears, I am sure it is at least 3.73's.

I have the damned old 3.55 in my 91 w-150, and want to get lower, I can buy both axles for about $300, wheels included.

In your opinions, should I just replace the ring and pinnions in my axles, or buy the other axles? I already am running 16" tires so that isnt a problem.

any ideas are great!
The swap will give you a much stronger rear axle and a more desirable gear ratio.

Check the front carefully, not all GMs had a Dana front axle. Some GM front axles are GM 10 bolts and it has a weaker pinion than the Dana 44. You can tell a GM 10 bolt from a Dana 44 by the shape of the diff cover. The Dana has a stop sign shaped cover, the GM 10 bolt has a round cover.

Ed

#20 ·
I am putting 3/4 ton chevy axles under my R/C. The spring perches are in the same location? I wont have to cut them off and move them?/ the axle for the most part will bolt right on? Thanks for the help

#21 ·
If you are using a front dana 60 it will bolt right up, may have to pull your springs some, not much but it will bolt up easy.

The rear you will have to move the spring pearches in about 2 inches on each side if i remember correctly, its not that bad a job, just level the rear end and cut them off and reweld

#23 ·
ok next question, what are the chances of a milatary blazer having a 60 front? ..... the 5/4 ton pick up i was looking at got too pricey for me at this point in time but the blazers are still dirt cheep. David

#24 ·
thesasquach said:
ok next question, what are the chances of a milatary blazer having a 60 front? ..... the 5/4 ton pick up i was looking at got too pricey for me at this point in time but the blazers are still dirt cheep. David
Forget it. The Blazers had 3/4 ton Dana 44s.

Ed

#25 ·
RXT said:
thesasquach said:
Forget it. The Blazers had 3/4 ton Dana 44s.

Ed
Thats what i figured. David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.