Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m working on a crossover steering system from skysoffroaddesign, haven’t got the kit yet, but got my knuckle machined and drilled, now I’m looking for the steering shaft to move the steering box.

The input shaft of the steering box is hollow, you SHOULD NOT use a set screw on a hollow shaft, as (in my 6 years industrial mechanics expirience) as it will collapse the shaft slightly, and work loose. Loctite won’t change or fix this at all, because the problem isn’t the set screw backing out, it’s the shaft slightly collapsing that causes them to come loose.
Does anyone know where to find a borgeson steering shaft with a rag joint on one end, and a compression style locking collar for the steering gear input shaft? Maybe even the right size yoke to convert it to one?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Not that I am aware of, though you could build your own.  For what it's worth, I have been using Borgeson steering shafts for 20 years now with no problems with the set screw.  The set screw does not need to be excessively tight, as it only prevent the body flex from pulling the shaft off the splines.  Nor does one need to drill a large dimple for the set screw to sit into.  The set screw has a locking nut, so it will not loosen and if the dimple were to push in, the set screw still does it's job of not pulling off the shaft.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comforting advice, thank you. The main reason I bring it up is because there are several posts among other forums about people finding them loose, and several loosing steering all together luckily while only rollin at 30mph. If there’s a risk of that, I don’t want it. But I can’t seem to locate a specific clamp style yolk, every website shows the same stock photo.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if you notice , the oem coupler ( junk ) has a roll pin that bisects the input shaft and the right size spline . The input shaft has a corresponding notch that pin goes thru , effectively prohibiting movement . I have found that the '93's don't use a slip joint any longer , they have a engineered weak or fold spot in the frame's upper flange at the steering box . I make up U joints to replace the factory coupler . They use standard # 100 greaseable replaceable u joints I cut off the factory shaft with or with out the double D slip joint depending on the year , set screw and weld the one yoke ,to the shaft , and bolt the other spline end onto the box . I phase the rag joint and u joint like you do a drive shaft . The correct fitting yoke for the box is a spicer 10-4-611SX the shaft is 3/4 a neapco # 10-0413  the u joint that fits , 1-0170 neapco the spicer comes with special boly/nut a 2 C clips for u joint ( thin ones )  as pictured

Attachments

·
Vendor
11,785 Posts
Elwenil said:
Not that I am aware of, though you could build your own. For what it's worth, I have been using Borgeson steering shafts for 20 years now with no problems with the set screw. The set screw does not need to be excessively tight, as it only prevent the body flex from pulling the shaft off the splines. Nor does one need to drill a large dimple for the set screw to sit into. The set screw has a locking nut, so it will not loosen and if the dimple were to push in, the set screw still does it's job of not pulling off the shaft.
Ditto.
Jim

·
Registered
467 Posts
Same here , I have one on my current Power Wagon , and installed a few in the past . Not one issue today . It is designed to be a replacement part of better than OEM guality and it lives up to the standard

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Borgeson smorgeson.
I ran one of those for years and dealt with the solid shaft unit.
I never did like it because it wore from body flex. Not to mention beating on the bearings in the steering column. There is a reason why the factory used a sliding steering shaft.
They even put them on their cars!
I have a Flaming River Shaft that telescopes that I put on 8 years ago. It is superior in all ways to the Borgeson unit. 

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
How long ago did you have a Borgeson shaft? I've been using them since the late '90s and all of mine have had a collapsible double-D shaft.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
How long ago did you have a Borgeson shaft? I've been using them since the late '90s and all of mine have had a collapsible double-D shaft.
Well I started sometime in the mid/ later 80's with mine. The factory one was rebuilt before that.
And I ran it for about 18-21 years? So my experience might have been with a stone age prototype. ;D
I'm very happy with the Flaming River unit... very well put together. And very heavy duty.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for all the help! I think I’ll grab the borg shaft for $80 from eBay, then install that spicer compression type yoke to it. I guess I don’t know what my new angle will be for the rag joint upon moving the steering gear to the 2wd position, but  guess I’ll figure it out when I get that far.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Unless it's a used shaft, I would be wary of any steering shaft on Ebay for $80, especially if they claim it is a Borgeson, as it is almost certainly a fake.  Steering and brakes are two things I do not skimp on, or take risks with.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
Unless it's a used shaft, I would be wary of any steering shaft on Ebay for $80, especially if they claim it is a Borgeson, as it is almost certainly a fake. Steering and brakes are two things I do not skimp on, or take risks with.
Amen brother!

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
remember the plain end number yoke I gave is for a 3/4 shaft , I don't know the diameter of a Borgeson shaft .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.