Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback or comments on the borgeson shaft install.  I did see the write up elsewhere on install.

The question I have is how secure that set screw and lock nut are for keeping the collar on the steering box.

Reason I ask is, I did some other mods and pulled and reinstalled the steering box.  I wanted to get it running and go up and down the road a few times, to make sure the steering wheel was reasonably centered before drilling the pocket for the set screw.

Problem is that while trying to purge the power steering, the coupler worked its way off.  I would not have expected that as it takes a bit of coaxing to get in on.

So, I pause to wonder if the set screw, once set properly, is sufficient to keep the collar on there.  I'd hate to have it pop off on the road, especially if hauling a trailer, etc.

Really, I expect if that were a problem, it would have surfaced by now, but, can't hurt to ask those that might know.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The set screw is fine.  Mine has been on for close to a decade now.  Keep firmly in mind that the steering box input shaft is hollow and has pressurized fluid in it, so when you drill the dimple for the set screw, you only drill a dimple and no more.  It's very easy to ruin a steering box by drilling into that cavity and having it pump hydraulic fluid everywhere.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elwenil said:
The set screw is fine. Mine has been on for close to a decade now. Keep firmly in mind that the steering box input shaft is hollow and has pressurized fluid in it, so when you drill the dimple for the set screw, you only drill a dimple and no more. It's very easy to ruin a steering box by drilling into that cavity and having it pump hydraulic fluid everywhere.
Thanks. Any idea how "soft" the box shaft is? I'd like to make sure the collar stays on while I purge the power steering. But I guess, if one has to "dimple" it to have a spot to drill, any dimple must not hinder getting the collar off.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The dimple is what you are drilling, not a hole.  Slide the shaft on the steering box, use a centerpunch and mark the location of the set screw hole, pull the shaft off and then drill the spot just enough to make a dimple for the set screw to grip on.

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
When I got my 93 CTD it had a borgson shaft on it. That sucker was so rusted on I had to cut it off because U-joints were gone.

I used a Jeep bottom end U-joint coupler and a sleeve to attach to the original steering shaft.

with that being said once that screw is in there it will not come lose. Use red locktight once you get you steering centered and you are good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.