Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will wraping a car radio antenna with bare copper help to amplify the signal?

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
I tried that once and it didn't help.  {noclue}

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know wrapping an antenna with tin foil helped,but it was an indoor radio.The tinfoilf would probably just fly off if used on a car.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Antennas are tuned to work within a certain frequency range for use with the device it is designed to work with.  I doubt seriously if there is much of anything you can do to boost reception short of the old "FM boosters" or changing the material of the antenna.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Elwenil said:
Antennas are tuned to work within a certain frequency range for use with the device it is designed to work with. I doubt seriously if there is much of anything you can do to boost reception short of the old "FM boosters" or changing the material of the antenna.
The old FM Boosters are pretty decent for bringing in stations you normally can't get, or extending the range of your favorite station ;D

Then again some radios are inherently better at receiving a signal.

The radio in my dad's Caravan (it's a CD/Cassette made by JVC? or maybe it was Jensen?) can pull in my favorite rock station (broadcast right in town) upto roughly 65 miles away.

And the Chrysler AM/FM/8-Track in my Duster can pick up stations i've never even heard of (it could even pull in some stations without an antenna)

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Used to have '48 chevy with one antenna stuffed on top of another, about 6 feet long, and sit on hill in eastern montana and listen to koma, oklahoma city.  Boosted power at night and AM travels long way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts