Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edelbrock 1406 carb. It does not happen all the time but sometimes when I floor the gas pedal, I can hear the secondaries open but it seems they don't open all the way. The symptom is that I feel the truck bog down like it does not want to take off - not severe but I can notice it. Any of you with experience with Edelbrock 1406 carbs do you have suggestions for setting up this carb or improving the way it works. I have heard about drilling something on it but don't recall what it was I was supposed to drill. Otherwise, it works great. 1976 RC 440.

Thanks,
Mac

·
29,452 Posts
Couple of ideas....
If your secondaries indeed aren't opening all of the way, check and see if your transmission kickdown rod is preventing it from going fully open (I had this problem)
As far as the bog...
-it could be your accelerator pump needing attention/adjustment.
-it could be your idle mixture settings (it does have an effect on part throttle)
-It could just be you need jet/metering rod tuning
Also, If I were you, I'd try changing your step up springs. I believe the 1406 comes with a #4. Try going to a #5 or #7 and see if you like it better, but also watch your mileage if you go to the #7 to see if the improvements are worth it.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the kickdown rod last week and it is clear of the carb stud at full throttle.

The accelerator pump is adjusted with a pin on the linkage and I have experimented with that but can't tell a difference. I thought a problem with this adjustment would cause a stumble at take-off but it could affect other aspects I suppose.

I had to tinker with idle mixture to get it to pass our smog sniffer. Won't take much for me to re-set this again. Good reminder.

The rods and jets are set for my altitude according to some carb folks that I trust here.

What are step up springs? I am not familiar with that term but I am here to learn.

Thanks for the info.

Mac

·
29,452 Posts
macario said:
What are step up springs? I am not familiar with that term but I am here to learn.
They are the springs under your metering rod "pistons". They are what resists the vacuum (to a point of course). The lower numbered ones are softer so the vacuum will overcome them sooner and pull the metering rods into the leaner step on the rods.
The higher the number, means they will overcome the vacuum sooner and move into the rich stage of the rod sooner, but this means you'll use slightly more gas.

I also have a slight bog when moving from a stop, but its not bad. I have the #5 in right now, I have used the #7 (they don't have a #6 :mad: ) and I believe it helped with the bog, but I got noticable lower gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found a good article that explains the springs on a 1406 but thanks for the good info, you pointed me in the right direction.

I will definitely look into this.

Regarding the gas mileage, it is already bad but hey if we wanted good gas mileage we would all be driving Toyota Tercels right? :) God forbid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts