Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing the rear quart panel on my 85 RC. This is a big bashed in area behind the rear wheel that spans from the bottom of the quarter panel (where the rusted out part is) up to above the line where the body tapers in toward the rear window.

I have tried but I can't pull the dent out far enough to restore the orginal lines. I am going to have to use some fiber glass filler to make the original contour. The problem is I will have to bury the little nail head things that hold the white plastic pieces that hold the body side molding on.

So, how do I re-attached the body side molding?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Before you use the filler, you might try stopping by one or two of the local bodyshops and see what they would charge just to pull the rest of the dent out. Even if the hourly rate is pretty steep, it's amazing what a good bodyman can do in an hour. You may already be aware, but one of the tools that they can use, welds little stubs onto the panel and then they can use a slide hammer attachment to pull the panel out. The stubs are carefully groung off afterwards. Another option may be to pull the interior trim out and attack the dent from the back or through the tail light opening. If you fix the rust, apply the skim coat of plastic, and primer/paint it yourself.... then it can be a reasonably priced repair. The bodyshop may be able to help you source a patch panel for the rusted area. Good luck.

·
7,995 Posts
K.C. said:
Before you use the filler, you might try stopping by one or two of the local bodyshops and see what they would charge just to pull the rest of the dent out. Even if the hourly rate is pretty steep, it's amazing what a good bodyman can do in an hour. You may already be aware, but one of the tools that they can use, welds little stubs onto the panel and then they can use a slide hammer attachment to pull the panel out. The stubs are carefully groung off afterwards. Another option may be to pull the interior trim out and attack the dent from the back or through the tail light opening. If you fix the rust, apply the skim coat of plastic, and primer/paint it yourself.... then it can be a reasonably priced repair. The bodyshop may be able to help you source a patch panel for the rusted area. Good luck.
As stated the originals are welded on, you can use a special replacement rivet but for either of these options to work you will need to have metal to attach to. Maybe you could modify a screw by trimming the head?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
i have a few ideas. you could have a good body shop assist your work a bit. you could also take the taillight out and put a basket ball in there and pump it up to hopefully push the dent out. then deflate it and move and continue. and remove it when ur done. you could also just fill the dent thats left after your work, and just try to sink those lil white clips into the goop. that might not hold very good tho. and my last idea i can think of, just shave all the trim off and then there is no stuff to try and make work. its a cleaner look too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have used regular pop rivits. i put a piece of scrat metal the thickness of the clip under each side of the rivit. i put the rivit in and wiggled out the temp plates. i have done this several times with no problems. you do need metal to attach to

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
StandardByker88 said:
iput a basket ball in there and pump it up to hopefully push the dent out. then deflate it and move and continue.
Hey StandardByker, I gotta tell ya, I was skeptical of the basketball idea. But I tried it. I slid the ball up through the rusted out part at the bottom and inflated it and it worked pretty darn well! I learn something new everyday!
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts