Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal.... The wifes going to be out of town for the next week and I've got her explorer for the time being. My RC's my DD so this is my chance! I've got a 3" body lift coming in tomorrow and I'm wondering what problems I'm going to run into aside from the steering shaft. Any help to head these problems off at the pass would be greatly appreciated. I've got 4" on the sus right now, I'm pretty sure that's not going to be an issue. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Radiator shroud will need relocated. Linkages for the transmission may need some attention. Bumpers should be relocated so you don't have a big gap. Thats what I can think of for now.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The bolts just inside the rear wheelwells are studs...and thanks to the people on here, I saved myself from cutting open the floor thinking they were bolts in the cross members. Shoot 'em with penetrating oil and use vice grips or a pipe wrench to get them out. And I lifted mine one side to a time, first getting the body setting on 2x4's, just so I didn't warp anything.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
In case you haven't got to installing the kit yet....I did have to remove my grill and move the A/C condensor up and out of the way to get to the front mounting bolts, and then had to drop the radiator down a couple inches because the fan wanted to rip off the bottom hose. And I bumped my truck over a rail-road tie yesterday and snapped the steering shaft. So be prepared to change that out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, the body's up on the lift now and I ran into a problem with the clutch. One of the pivot balls to the clutch lever is on the tranny and the other is mounted to the body... do you have to fab a bracket to raise the one on the tranny or is there a simpler solution?? Also, I broke one of the split bushings that go into the torque shaft assembly, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Thanks

G

·
I have never used a body lift. I would assume that making a braket from the body to lower the pivot ball to the trans.
You can get the split bushings from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Don't forget to lengthen your gas filler tube. I've never done a body lift, so that's all I can think of right now in addition to what's already been posted. Good luck! {cool}

P.S. how about the steel brake lines to the master cylinder? Do you have enough extra line without having to lengthening them? If you do have to crack them open, don't let all the brake fluid drain out, or else you may find you'll have to bench bleed the master cylinder.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I beleive the earlier models used a different cross shaft bracket that went to the frame instead of the body. Maybe find one of these or fab your own. I was looking at my 81 and if I do a body lift I will probably do this instead of mounting it back to the body.
Russ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That doesn't sound like too bad of an Idea,

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
make an extension bracket to lower the cab mounted pivot ball equal with the bellhousing mounted pivot ball and extend the transfer rod that runs from the pedal to the torque shaft. Local dodge parts counter can still get all the linkage parts including the split washers. hope you're pivot balls aren't all grooved up cause i forked over 50 bucks apiece two years ago when i redid all my clutch linkage during a clutch job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts