Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering my 4 inch rough country suspension lift tonight in order to for 35's without fender cutting. From what i hear 4 inches won't be enough so i guess i should order a 2-3 inch body lift also.

What set-backs/modifications will need to be to be done in order to install this? I can raise the bumpers myself thats no biggie.

Please reccommend a body lift to me ;D

Thanks for all the help everyone, i'm a newbie when it comes to lifting. I understand suspension lifts thanks to this site but body lifts are a new thing to me

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I gotta ask.....what's wrong with fender trimming? Low center of gravity = good thing for wheelin.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i just got fenders and a bed in almost perfect condition and i dont want to chop any up. I like the clean look with un-cut fenders and it won't be off-roaded too hard. I've heard that a 4 inch lift will clear 35's and that it wont too so I guess i'll just have to see. I don't have a problem with cutting the splash guard/inside wheel well

·
Registered
223 Posts
You'll have to get a borgeson steering rod....They're about 200 bucks but they'll eliminate that crap @$$ coupler and it extends up to 3" for the lift......Get a 3 inch lift because you'll want it after you put in a 2". I'm not sure what else you'll need to mod though.

If you wanna skip all of this.....Just get a skyjacker 6 or 8 inch lift and forget the body touble.....they're both under a grand.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think i'll run into more problems getting an 8 inch lift rather than going with a 4 inch suspension and 3 inch body won't i? Originally I wanted to get a big suspension lift and not have to use a body

·
Registered
223 Posts
No....I THINK brake lines and drive shaft are the only things you need to worry about with a suspension lift. You'll have way more problems with a body lift in my opinion. Theres all kinds of stuff that has to be relocated. I have done body lifts on other trucks (not a dodge yet) and all kinds of stuff under the hood had to be relocated. Not hard....just a pain. Just go with the skyjacker 6" lift and you should be fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Wouldnt haveing to have driveshaft's lengthened be expensive?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spittindurt said:
Wouldnt haveing to have driveshaft's lengthened be expensive?
From what i hear yes

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 4"suspension, 3" bod worked well for me and I recomend it. My 35s fit with the 4"lift alone, but I added the body lift because it looked better that way, and It's way easier to clean the underside of the truck. You will save a lot of money with the 4" lift because drive shafts will work, brake lines will work, etc. So if you are on a budget, You could use this money elsewhere (gears, lockers, etc).

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I cleared 35's fine with 4 inches of lift and very minor fender trimming in the front only. Its hardly even noticeable.

·
Registered
412 Posts
when you trim the front fenders wont you get into trouble with the inner fender and whatnot, leading to rust? It looks to me like it would take some fab to make the outer and inner fender line up after you cut one or the other?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
spittindurt said:
when you trim the front fenders wont you get into trouble with the inner fender and whatnot, leading to rust? It looks to me like it would take some fab to make the outer and inner fender line up after you cut one or the other?
It depends on where you trim the fender. If you go all the way around you will have to do some mods to the inner fender as well. But I only needed a couple of inches in the front, not the whole way around, so there is enough lip on the front of the fender where you can do that without touching the inner fender.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm bring my old topic up for a few more questions. With a 3 inch body lift will I need the borgeson shaft? I'd like it but I don't have the money for it right now.

Also will I have to mess with and linkages for the tranny or anything?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
No, there is a way to do the steering so that you don't need to do anything, I don't remember how tho. Contact Sam (rccsamiam) about that. Yes all the linkages will probably have to be lengthened.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would lengthening linkages require any welding? Thats bascially my problem

·
Registered
321 Posts
The only linkage that I had to lengthen was for my kick down. That is really easy,and if you can't do it, It will be cheap to get done.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Another thing to think about is your fan shroud around your fan/radiator Its not a big factor but shroud/radiator goes up and your fan will sit still if its driven off of the crank. I got prices on lenghtening driveshafts its about $80 +/- for front and $100 +/- for the rear driveshafts. Depending on where you get it done. You guys with 35'' tires will they stuff clear up into your wheel wells? (with minor fender trimming?) Gota get me some of those 36 1350 IROK's

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This may sound dumb, but what kind of place could llenghtn my driveshaft or build me a new one?

Also I have a shaft out of an 85 2wd ram, its really long. Could this be cut down and used for a front shaft?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
If you're going with the 4 inch lift like you said, you don't need new driveshafts. But Tom Woods could help you. Don't have a link tho...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dodge 85 RC said:
If you're going with the 4 inch lift like you said, you don't need new driveshafts. But Tom Woods could help you. Don't have a link tho...
Yes, aren't you glad I finally decided? ;D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts