Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just recently purchased a 1989 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 (auto). I am interested in getting a 3" OR 4" body lift for my truck despite being on a very limited budget. I know that a simple body lift kit is relatively inexpensive ($130.00 cheapest I've found), but my local (Southern, MD) truck shop wants between $500.00 - $700.00 in labor for putting the kit on. Thats almost as much as I've paid for the whole truck! Is this price way too high or an acceptable price for the installation?

Unfortunately, being near the city of DC, I do not know any good ol' boys that can install a kit at a good price. My mechanic say's that he can do it, but does not have the experience or the welder to do the job (assuming welding has to be done). I'm so desperate to get this lift on the truck that I've considered the ol' hockey puck lift. Anybody use the hockey puck lift with any success?

I'm hoping that someone might be able to refer me to someone who has experience in installing a body lift or might advise me on how much to pay for this job. I'm willing to travel to Maryland, Virginia, and some parts of Southern Pennsylvania in hopes of finally getting this installed.

Lastly, can someone please recommend a 3" or 4" kit for my truck that is inexpensive? This is just a old, hard riding, beat up truck that will be used for light hauling of stuff from Home Depot.

Thanks so much in advance for all of your help!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
try http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/welcome.htm they are a site sponsor and all members get a discount, but their prices are good anyway. as far as putting it on, its fairly simple, a floor jack and hand tools to do it from what i understand. get in touch with some PA members or some north VA members through the local chapters. im sure they would be glad to help. just watch out for the PA guys, they aint right ;D and welcome to the site!

Duane

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
If you have some mechanical skills, installing a body lift isn't too hard to install. Some things will need to be addressed that you won't be able to do easily, but these are not too hard to overcome.

You'll likely need a new steering column from the rag joint to the steering box. One with u-joints at both ends. There is a How to on this on this site and Borgeson (sp?) offers these as well.

Welding might be required to lengthen the shifter linkage for your automatic tranny. You can have this done or just add a cable operated floor shifter and be done with it.

Other minor things when installing a body lift will be trimming the fan shroud and gently rebending the brake lines between the master cylinder and frame / proportioning valve for the needed length.

All in all it can be a one man job if you know how to turn some wrenches.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.