Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my 78 w150 the past week. Crawled under him to hook remote switch up to starter and seen that mother nature has not been kind to floor, cab mounts, bracing and everything else on the cab. So I've located hopefully a donor truck but the issue is it's a 90. I am wondering if the cab will bolt up to the doghouse and body lines will match up? Sorry for the rookie question but I've made enough mistakes with this truck and my other with impulse buys and not doing research or asking questions. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
The roof line (above the windshield)is a bit different, but most folks will never know. The firewall is different openings, it is setup for an 80's heater/ ac, which will not match up to your dash. easy solution is to cut out the opening, and weld in your old one. The wiper motor opening is different, but the simple solution, is to use the 90 wiper motor. the opening for the wiring harness is a different size, and moved outwards a bit. If you have a manual tranny, the clutch openings are different, but you can cut out twhat you need, or swap to the hydraulic clutch (simple way is to swap the bellhousing). Doors bolt up fine, the latch post changed size in 86, but your old one will screw right in. The body line at the rear of the door, is the same, it was at the front, and fenders that changed.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Have you considered fixing your floors? not that awful hard, and does not require great skill, as most people will never see down there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

As you can see he's not in the best of shape.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Your frame is also shot.

I would go with the newer-truck route (with a better cab and frame) to transplant the remaining '78 body onto. I might go W250 in the process to have better axles and brakes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thoughts were to just swap doghouse, bed and suspension onto new truck and go from there. I like the older grill.

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
That is knarwley, Looks like a Pa truck. That frame will scare me more then the body. I would be afraid to start the engine.

Another thing, the body bolts on the 90 will be metric.

Reactions: Lzed

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
Yes, I would look for a better truck, then likely swap the fenders, grill, hood, doors, and bed over, You would just need to paint the back of the cab, and roof line. Keep the dash, AC, steering, and even the engine, and drive line.

Thats basically what I did with my 85/90. I found a 90 with a battered and beat body, and swapped the rest over. Gained a 5.9 TBI, and air conditioning. to name a few things.

·
Registered
238 Posts
a shame about the frame, sure is a pretty truck. I hope everything works out in the swap.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Doghouse? All I know a 'doghouse' in a vehicle to be is the removable engine cover in a van.

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
Doghouse is a term also used for the 70 removable 4x4 trans cover.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry not very well versed on terms. I go look at the 90 tomorrow night, hoping the frame is good. my truck has been in the shape you see for the past 9 years. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
That is knarwley, Looks like a Pa truck.
Kinda why it didn’t look that horrible to me? Truth be told, one of mine is almost as bad. I just had the other one fixed and I think I do that before swapping everything ya gotta swap to use a 90 cab. See also: skip the paint job.

That frame will scare me more then the body.
Looks like it’s been plated, kinda. Depending how much is left of the sides and how well it was welded, I’d drive it. Splicing in a replacement piece wouldn’t be a complete nightmare. Right next to the gas tank is one of the places they always rot. Check the cross members, braces and frame from there back - another couple of usual spots.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you could find something like this and do a swap...
Northwest trucks rust from the top down. Unlike the east where they rust from the bottom up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Went to look at a cheap Ford ranger I seen on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks, maryland township beach truck. I stuck my finger through the frame and there wasn’t a body ground left. A guy like me wishes I lived out in Texas

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
No salt used here (no snow to use it on), so bodys undersides are good, just the interior that goes to hell. Big change coming from Pa, where the underside goes to hell, and the insides still look great.

Here is the dash on my M887. I have not seen a good 70's glove box lid since Pa.

This is my solution for my RC dash.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No salt used here (no snow to use it on), so bodys undersides are good, just the interior that goes to hell. Big change coming from Pa, where the underside goes to hell, and the insides still look great.

Here is the dash on my M887. I have not seen a good 70's glove box lid since Pa.
View attachment 619099 View attachment 619100

This is my solution for my RC dash.

View attachment 619101
Yeah... Washington doesn't have that problem either. I have 3 near perfect dashes and G-Box lids, and one with just one crack. Looks like where you live you definitely need those window shades.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Damn mopar owners and their cracked dashes!!!!! 94-01 ram dashes are worse off than earlier ram trucks in my opinion as far as cracking

·
Registered
28,509 Posts
Crawled under him to hook remote switch up to starter
YUP you gotta ask questions to get really good answers , on a 1978 you would hook a "remote" starter switch right to the left fender well mounted starter relay , you can do it in about 3 seconds / or for people that are mechanics with a small pocket screwdriver you can just "jump" the terminals to activate the starter

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I plated the frame about 9 yrs ago when we got the truck. Tank strap had rotted so I was replacing it when I found frame rot. It's I believe 1/4" plate that runs from rear hanger to body mount.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts