Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends my sons ramcharger stopped charging so i took the alternator off and had it tested and it was junk.i put the new one on and wasnt charging.did some looking and the Blue wire link was burnt in half. There are two orange and 2 blue ones. One of the blue burnt.i spliced them back togather and they got so hot. Burnt my thumb but the truck was charging. Can i bypass the link? Has anyone here have that problem. Thank you if someone can help.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
The fusible link is just that, a fused link. If it's blowing, then there is a short or similar problem to the circuit. You don't want to bypass it unless you want the whole truck to burn to the ground. Find the problem, fix it, then replace the link like stock.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
You know the wire that has the problem, you can either test it with a multimeter to see if it is shorted and goes to ground somewhere or trace it physically through the harness looking for burnt wires and/or terminals.  If this is a '70s era Ramcharger, it could be a problem with the infamous ammeter in the dash and/or the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Thanks, I completely missed the year in the title.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.