Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start the Ram tonight, and no fire. Nothing coming out of the coil. I immediately suspected the ASD relay, Dist. pickup or the coil. The codes originally said the MAP sensor, coolant temp. sensor and 02 sensor were bad or defective in their operation. I went home, gathered up all the old factory pieces I had saved for spares and started replacing components based on the codes. Started with the coolant temp sensor. No good. Changed the MAP sensor. No good. Changed the coil wire, no good. Changed the coil back over to the old MSD Hyfire. Sarted right up! Idles better, responsiveness is greatly improved and it starts on the first 1/4 turn of the starter!

This was a brand new Accel Superstock coil. It's the second one I've had trouble with, but this one barely lasted only 1300 miles! Anybody else had this problem? I just put an MSD high vibration coil on my boat and noticed a difference. I think I'll stick with MSD coils from now on...

Dave

G

·
I've heard of quite a few Accel coils blowing up. I have never had good luck with anything from Accel. Sounds like a quality control problem with them.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have never had any problem until recently. Not with coils but with plug wires. Worked great on a furd but the not on the dodge. MSD ignition may have burnt up the wires.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I have a brand new Accel coil (as in-in the box....and Checker wouldn't take it back :mad: ) that wouldn't fire my slant over. Put the MSD back in and no problems. Will never buy anything from Accel again....

-SM

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i bought the Chrome accell coil for my truck and had no problems. i bought a YELLOW one for my dart and had nothing but problems with it. stole the MSD off my 68 and it fired no problems... i guess its just hte yellow ones that have major problems... my 360 in the PW starts in like 1\2 turn... thats even faster than my EFI cherokee... go fig!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I know I might be hijacking but. Has anyone tried a Jacobs ignition system on a Dodge if the is it a good system or would you recomend a MSD sys?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I've tried it, andx sent it back. it did not work as well as my mopar performance ignition, even after talking to their engineers and wiring it up several different ways.

I now have an MSD system, but it so far hasn't shown me that it is any better than what I had.....except for the timing control on the dash.

·
29,380 Posts
Sledge said:
I know I might be hijacking but. Has anyone tried a Jacobs ignition system on a Dodge if the is it a good system or would you recomend a MSD sys?
I have a Jacobs system and it works great. I haven't compared it to an MSD, but my assumption would be that the performence differences between the two is so minimal, that its not worth spending the extra money for a Jacobs.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I know you have one...that's why I didn't bash it. it just didn't work for me...the mopar performance system worked as good if not better. I just recently got the msd system. So far, the only thing I see better about the msd is the timing control, otherwise, I'm thinking it was not worth the money. Haven't really seen any improvement elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
RCMan---you may want to try opening up your plug gaps more (IIRC you have them at .045? If so try .055 or .060)

I just finally got around to making a new set of plug wires for the slant, an for $hits and giggles I opened the gaps up to .055 from .045....she likes them gapped larger...likes them a lot ;D (I just finished taking a good 5000 miles of tread life off my tires :eek: ). I will be re-doing my plug gap experiment in the next couple of weeks to see how the rebuilt slant (10.1:1 compression) likes different plug gaps.

You should see an improvement somewhere with the msd....easier starting if nothing else. Your factory electronic ignition must have been the best functioning unit MP ever made...

-SM

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, it was the mopar performance version, and it was better than the jacobs system.

I have my plugs at .055" right now.

I honestly haven't noticed any difference other than it does seem to have a more stable spark/smoother idle, but I'm not sure if that is from the msd itself, or from the new coil. I had a yellow accel coil on it before.

And the distributor is no longer stock, at least not the advance curve anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
;Dhave an ax on the 77- 9 years still working ... have 3 jacobs all work well .. altho the coil on thr red ford @ r j quit when it was water loged ,works fine now ...quinn 8)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I upgraded my ignition recently. Went with the Mopar branded MSD 6AL ignition, Blaster SS coil, MSD plug wires, and the MSD RFI noise filter for good measure. Working fine. I looked at Accel but heard far too many bad things about their coils and wires. Only Accel parts I used were their cap and rotor for the 92+ 318s. Running fine. Gap was set to 0.050 for now, but I may open it up to .055. I did leave the stock system in and installed my own quick disconnects so I can revert back if anything ever fails. Takes about 30 sec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts