Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

In a quest to get my A/C working again in my '86 Royal SE, I've begun to tear into the dash to figure out why nothing happens when I press buttons on my HVAC controls. Let me back up by saying that I had to purchase these controls from Ebay, since when I bought the truck the condenser and A/C controls were missing (everything in the system needs to be replaced unfortunately). I've tested the blower motor to direct current from the battery and it works. My next step is replacing the blower motor resistor. I took it out and saw that it looked very different than what RockAuto, PartsGeek and the like are telling me fits my truck. I did a part number cross reference check (OE part number 4261113 -> tells me that I need Standard Motor Products RU-687). Every site is telling me that this isn't the correct part for my truck and that it's supposed to fit a 91-93. Weird. The plug that goes into it has wires going to each of the five prongs, so it has to be the right one.

Second question, what is supposed to be plugged into the red circled plug? I'm pretty sure that the other red plug goes into a maintenance minder, which has been removed.

Attachments

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
That resistor looks good to me, why are you replacing it?

The wire looks like a speaker wire. what radio does the truck have? AM only by chance. What color are the wires, that will pin it down quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That resistor looks good to me, why are you replacing it?

The wire looks like a speaker wire. what radio does the truck have? AM only by chance. What color are the wires, that will pin it down quick.
Update...have been working and cursing on this thing all afternoon lol. Turns out the hillbilly owners before me had hardwired a switch to just turn on the blower motor since they had removed the hvac controls. I guess they still wanted so airflow. I did a little digging and saw that there were two cut wires hiding under some electrical tape by the blower motor. Did some testing and they turned out to be the fan power! As a bonus, my windshield washers are working again! At least the driver's side one, passenger side is hooked up but doesn't work. Took apart the tubing and blew it out, still nothing. Blower resistor ended up being good - all fan speeds work.

The radio in the truck is a reman stock style AM/FM unit with a tape player. Works very well.

The wire colors on the mystery plug are blue with a black stripe, not sure the other one right now - it's dark outside and I'm over it today :/ I'll check them tomorrow.

At least the blower motor is working now...on to replacing everything and hopefully having A/C for a change.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
yup l,d also say mono radio single dash speaker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts