Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew out the freeze plug under the passenger side exhaust manifold (I think it's a freeze plug), blew antifreeze everywhere.
Any suggestions on how to fix it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you don't have room to tap in a new feeeze plug and you don't want to remove the manifold.... you could try getting block heater to install into the opening. I doubt if you'll ever need to use it in Louisville, but it might be easier than reinstalling a new plug. You could buy a used block heater, but you'd have to make sure the O-ring was ok. The only question is.... if one plug has gone... are the rest soon to follow? Was the plug rusted? If you're reinstalling freeze plugs, you could use the brass marine ones.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the block heater...just go to the local autop parts place and get a rubber replacement plug the same size as the one that came out. It has a bolt init that you tighten down to force the rubbr out to seal.

And yes, if one went, chances are the rest are soon to follow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
I wouldn't even bother with the block heater...just go to the local autop parts place and get a rubber replacement plug the same size as the one that came out. It has a bolt init that you tighten down to force the rubbr out to seal.

And yes, if one went, chances are the rest are soon to follow.
That's a better idea... didn't know that they made such a thing. good to know.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm back on the road again!!! Cheapest "disaster" so far!!
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
I tried one of them once but it didn't last very long. Just blew out again. I carry a couple for trail fixes though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Freeze plugs blowing out??? I cant even get mine loose let alone having them blow out. Just my .02 worth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts