Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms: After sitting for a few days, there is a puddle under my truck, tranny fluid. It will run, but after it is put into gear, the engine will rev for a few seconds before any movement takes place.

Question: Is it possible for a torque converter to leak fluid to the point where it must be pumped full again befor the truck will move? If so, what is the fix? Replace the converter?

I know it sounds like a no brainer but I never did any tranny work. Thanks for the help. ::)

G

·
One common malady is torque converter drainback, where the converter "loses its prime'" and needs a couple seconds to pump back up. This isn't usually associated with a converter leak, however. You may have a leaking front seal, or pan gasket...or somewhere else. The converter drainback is usually noticed after sitting for a couple days, sometimes overnight (especially in colder temps). This can be dealt with by putting the vehicle in neutral for just 4-5 seconds after initial startup. This will get the converter pumped up. Then you can proceed without a lag. Most tranny performance valvebody kits remedy this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts