Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the lean burn removal on the 87 today. The truck now is sluggish and if I give it a rev in park, black smoke pours out. I know when I removed the number 1 plug, it was covered in black soot.

So I guess I am running too rich. But this was before the lean burn was removed and wasn't a problem, truck ran like a champ. Is it just going to maybe burn all this crap out?

Darkness is falling and I have to be somewhere at 6:30 am, so I'll won't be able to do anything unitl the afternoon. Hmmm

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Definitely running rich. Did you swap to a non-LB carb? Have you tried re-setting your initial timing?

-SM

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I figured it out. After I got everything together I timed it and all was good. I crawled up in the eninge bay to tighten the ditributor and the bolt wouldn't catch, I had it started right after install but it was being a bitch.

After finally finding a different hold down and bolt, getting mad and everything else I got it in and had to time it again. I forgot to plug the vacumn advance hose. When I got home from fishing today I threw the light on it and it was at nearly 10 degrees after tdc.

No wonder it was belching black smoke. Hard to make power at that point.

But now it is all good. Tomorrow morning I am going to swap front axles, and then fish all week and back to work for August. At least I accomplished something this summer.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts