Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now here's a question, may be a silly one. Can larger tires be put in the back (say 37's) and smaller ones in the front (say 35's) of a 4x4? I would imagine not, as it would probably throw off the diff. Any ideas?

·
Registered
291 Posts
you need to put lower gears in the rear, like say, if you have a 3.55 in the front, do a 4.10 in the back.(not exact, but you can find a tire size - to gear ratio formula on this site i think)
but why would you do that?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Don't do it.

2WD truck no problem.

4x4 you are asking for trouble. It should be fine in 2wd, but if you ever pulled it into 4wd something would break....quickly. :eek:

-SM

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The only way you can do this is to make a gear swap in one of the axles. If you increase tire size for one axle, you need to change a gear set. You can either go with a tall gear in the front or a lower gear in the back.

Ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just think it would be neat to have larger tires in the back, must be the Hot wheels influence!
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not unless you have locking hubs.. and only use 4wd in the real sloppy stuff.. I'm not even putting my front shaft in til I can get some 35's for it to match the rear. I don't want to accidently break parts when I'm not playing around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts