Dodge RamCharger Central banner

BIG OOPSIE Please HELP!!!

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  tv_larsen 
#1 ·
I need some help. I was changing my rear main seal and my ratchet slipped and chipped a pretty good chunk off of the corner of the rear main cap :eek: :\'( :\'( :\'(. I have a 76 400 cid engine. Does anyone have one? Also... what other motor sizes (if any) will work on my enging.. i.e. 383, 400, 440??? I dont know and the yards around here are less than willing to help a guy out. Any and I mean ANY help would be greatly apprecitated!

Thanks in advance..

#2 ·
I think all big block caps are the same, but I'm not sure.
Check eBay for one. I seem to remember seeing quite a few a while back. Look in Automotive/Parts and Accessories. Search under "big block mopar".

Good Luck

#3 ·
If you find another one, you are still going to have to have it fitted to your block. Worst case you will have to take the engine apart and have it line bored to correct for the "new" main cap....

Bummer dude...

Mike

#4 ·
That SUCKS!How big was that ratchet? Afraid there is know quick fix man.locate main cap and then the block along with caps will need to be line bored to fix properly.If you try to install different main cap with out line boring your sure to have main bearing problems. Sorry Jamm :\'(

#5 ·
And just to rain on your parade some more line honing is expensive !!! Dunno price varies but it isn't cheap to have done over 200 bucks just for that . So I would just start looking for another engine that's running might be less of a headache in the long run for you . But either way you go you are gonna have to pull the engine and have it rebuilt or replace it w/ aniothe big block hell why not find a 440 then ? I would go that route if it were me anyhow .

bt83rc

PS: And you already got all the top end stuff so long block would be perfect for you .

#6 ·
Wow, that must have been one big ratchet to chunk a main cap. Where did the chunk break out? (you're not talking about the aluminum rear main seal mount are you?)

#7 ·
Go to Mopar Performance and buy yourself a 596 CID short-block. They are only $6500 and you will be the talk of your neighborhood. Just kidding sorry. That is a dream I have had for years, I just can't seem to get around the price tag. But maybe someday..........

#8 ·
Yea, thats it. The aluminum rear main seal mount.. sorry. i just call various parts that i dont know thingamajigs and whatchamacallits etc... ;D A guy at a local yard called it a rear main cap.. I asked him if that was the aluminum piece that holds the rear main seal. he told me that it was.

As for those who asked where it broke,, it was just a chunk off the corner where the oil pan mounts up to. I found the piece that fell off and placed it on there and it lined up good. No other parts flaked off or anything like that. I JBKwick welded it a couple hours ago. Nothing that the mounting bolts press against cracked so I think i am ok.

That is kinda the Mopar way isnt it? If you cant find it, make your own or JB it?? ;D ;D ;D

Well, thanks for all the input and info. RCC ROCKS!!!! Ill let ya know how it pans out.

#10 ·
PowerWagon76 said:
Yea, thats it. The aluminum rear main seal mount.. sorry. i just call various parts that i dont know thingamajigs and whatchamacallits etc... ;D A guy at a local yard called it a rear main cap.. I asked him if that was the aluminum piece that holds the rear main seal. he told me that it was.

As for those who asked where it broke,, it was just a chunk off the corner where the oil pan mounts up to. I found the piece that fell off and placed it on there and it lined up good. No other parts flaked off or anything like that. I JBKwick welded it a couple hours ago. Nothing that the mounting bolts press against cracked so I think i am ok.

That is kinda the Mopar way isnt it? If you cant find it, make your own or JB it?? ;D ;D ;D

Well, thanks for all the input and info. RCC ROCKS!!!! Ill let ya know how it pans out.
There ya go, that should work great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.