Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. this is a mystery to me. my 79 rc will not keep running after i start it. turns over no problem. starts no problem. once the key goes back to the on position, it dies. i know, check the balist resistor. did that, and replaced it.i am currently running a hot wire from the battery to the coil.oh yeah, i got a new coil too. so, any ideas. please don't make me go to a mechanic :mad:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
AWT said:
ok. this is a mystery to me. my 79 rc will not keep running after i start it. turns over no problem. starts no problem. once the key goes back to the on position, it dies. i know, check the balist resistor. did that, and replaced it.i am currently running a hot wire from the battery to the coil.oh yeah, i got a new coil too. so, any ideas. please don't make me go to a mechanic :mad:
By the sound of it, I'd say your 12 volt "run" lead to the ballast is out. There should be a "start" 12 volt source to the side of the ballast that leads to your coil. This will only be energized when the key is in the cranking position. To give the coil a full 12 volts for starting purposes only.

The other side of the ballast has a 12 volt "run" lead. This will be energized with the key in the on position. This is what actually feeds the coil when the engine is running. If this leg is out, the engine will try to start while cranking, but die immediately after you release the key.

Check at the ballast for voltage with the key in the on position. If there is no power, you've found the problem. Hope that helps you.................Los

P.S. If you run a hot leg to the coil without the ballast in circuit, it will fry the coil before long. I'm not sure if that's what you had planned. But it sounded like it...............Los

1 - 2 of 2 Posts