Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a bunch of big-block mopar heads in a shed on my property. i just looked up the casting numbers and here's what i have...

two pairs of 346's(1971-73 383/400/440)
three pairs of 906's(1968-70 383/440)
one pair of 902's (1974 400/440)
one pair of 452's (1976-78 400/440)

are these heads any good?
about what would they be worth? i might keep a pair or two in case i build a big block sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My preference would be to keep the 906 & 452's.. The 906's should be closed chambers..

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
906's are open chamber. The 915's are the same head but in closed chamber, 440 only, 1967 only. Both are good flowing, respond well to work in the floor area but not the type of head a non pro should work on. Partially hard seats MAYBE but not likely. 452's are fully induction hardend seats, same exhaust ports mostly as the 906's but intake is not quite as nice out of the box (doing this from memory so hope I got the In / EX part right. If the 452 hasnt been abused valve job wise or had say more than 2 proper valve jobs in it life it should have some induction hard process still there. Check out Mopar Mag on line, tech articles for a good 3 part description.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Keep the 452's they will work with todays gas without needing seats, and keep 1 set of 906's and sell the rest.

·
Registered
367 Posts
except for the 906 heads the rest all have the same port configuration, the 346s may not have the hardened seats, some early ones didn't.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
Keep the 452's they will work with todays gas without needing seats, and keep 1 set of 906's and sell the rest.
i think thats what i'll do. what would you say the rest of them are worth? i'd like to keep them but the shed they're in is gonna be torn down this spring and i pretty much just need them out of the way.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Bummo said:
906's are open chamber. The 915's are the same head but in closed chamber, 440 only, 1967 only. Both are good flowing, respond well to work in the floor area but not the type of head a non pro should work on. Partially hard seats MAYBE but not likely. 452's are fully induction hardend seats, same exhaust ports mostly as the 906's but intake is not quite as nice out of the box (doing this from memory so hope I got the In / EX part right. If the 452 hasnt been abused valve job wise or had say more than 2 proper valve jobs in it life it should have some induction hard process still there. Check out Mopar Mag on line, tech articles for a good 3 part description.
Thanks for correcting me on that one.. been a long time and I was working from memory as well.. I had a couple of sets of 915's years back, and a couple of 906's. I was tempted to use the set of 915's that were shaved .030 on my 400 but figured that would have taken the compression a bit too far for a high mileage motor. I used the set that wasn't shaved.. and it woke it up very nicely.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Actually the shaved 915 heads on the 400 would have worked also

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well, om moparts, they have a a lot heads going anywhere from a hundred for a set on up. some are cheaper for bare rebuildable heads.
Aaron, have you got any other bb parts you want to sell?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
Ditto....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
67MIke said:
Well, om moparts, they have a a lot heads going anywhere from a hundred for a set on up. some are cheaper for bare rebuildable heads.
Aaron, have you got any other bb parts you want to sell?
I don't have anything BB anymore.. I'll eventually round up enough to build something for my Dakota though. All my stuff's been gone for ages.
Aaron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.