Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had these tires for about 1500 miles now, and I am not completely impressed. I bought 31x10.50x15's for my 85 W150. They have very good road manners, are quiet, and have good traction on dry and wet. I have taken them off road on a couple of occasions, and they have good traction in the sand and rocks. I have not tested them in mud or snow. I went up two very long, steep hills in my 85 (steep enough that my carb was acting up), and these tires (with the help of a rear locker) got me up both of them without a hitch.
My problem with the tires lies more with BF Goodrich and Michelin than the tires themselves.
With less than 500 miles on my brand new tires, I managed to get a hole through the tread. Both the Bridgestone and Goodyear dealerships stated that they would replace the tire if it had been one of theirs, but the Michelin dealer said that Michelin Corp. would not reimburse him, because they are very strict on what constitutes "manufacturer defect". I ended up having to buy another tire, but I bought the road hazard at the same time (on all four). Don't buy these without a road hazard....just don't do it.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not exactly sure how, but the break in the tread followed the base of the tread block, but on the inside it looks like an impact.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i have the same tires on my 87 cherokee... i love em. i had the older model of those on a dakota i had also. i got those used and as far as i know their still on that truck. great all around tires and i have tried em in the snow. not a single problem as far as traction is conserned. as far as offroad i have not yet gone. waiting for a lift befor i take the jeep offroad again... last time i put a big ol dent in the rocker and the wife was PISSED! its her car btw. but no problems otherwise.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I had these tires on my 90 Dak. I liked them a lot, they wear really good, but for some reason I had 2 sidewalls puncture on me, at different times, in city driving. Way up on the sidewall too. Couldn't be glass or anything.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ya, BFG sidewalls are supposed to be a weak spot. saw a MT get cut by it's own rim last trip out.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i thought the BFG's were supposed to have awesome sidewalls? isn't that one of their main sales pitches?

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
I think the pitch is how much better they have gotten. ;D I dunno, I didn't see this one get cut, I just watched them changing it.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sidewalls are pretty thin, especially for a triple ply tire. Most standard two plies are thicker.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
When I bought my truck 3 years ago thet guy had just put them on mine..31X10.5 and when I went in to Americas tire to have a leak fixed the guy said they had about 50% left..he went on to say they are rated at 36K but heard of people getting 60K out of them

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Those tire dont come with a milsge warantee. I've put over 80k on a set of BFG AT's I love them Im not impressed with the KO or there towing thing in the warantee.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
dodge8564 said:
My problem with the tires lies more with BF Goodrich and Michelin than the tires themselves.
With less than 500 miles on my brand new tires, I managed to get a hole through the tread. Both the Bridgestone and Goodyear dealerships stated that they would replace the tire if it had been one of theirs, but the Michelin dealer said that Michelin Corp. would not reimburse him, because they are very strict on what constitutes "manufacturer defect". I ended up having to buy another tire, but I bought the road hazard at the same time (on all four). Don't buy these without a road hazard....just don't do it.
well of course they would say that, they just wan't you to switch to their brand. bridgestone/firestone are crap. goodyears wear out way to fast and tend to have tread seperation problems.

however if it was a seperation , then i hate to say you've been had. most seperations occur either early ior late in a tires life. michelin/bfg althoug they are strict is a pretty fair company when it comes to dealing with a product failure. so it sort of sounds like the dealer just wanted to sell you a new tire. that said if the seperation was caused by an impact break then your out of luck and there isn't a tire company out there that would waranty the tire. an impact break and related seperation in a tire is considered by all tire companiies to be a form of driver abuse and not even the road hazard waranty will cover it. just a few general points.

tom the tireman

incedently i have a set of bfg a/t's on both my rc's and some rugged trail's on the wife's exterra. love the bfg's. keep em inflated properly and rotate them regullarly and they will wear like iron.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts