Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas mileage is horrible, it's something around 9 mpg. What is this best way to get better mileage, carb, injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump.....please help, thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Here's what I've done: Lucas injector cleaner, changed O2 sensor and Coolant Temperature Sensor, complete tune up.

I get 10-12 mpg depending on how heavy my foot is around town. Obvioously, I get more on the highway.

I have a 90 318 RC. I have the window sticker from when it was new, and it's only supposed to get 11/13.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks cooper, i'll try the Lucas inj. cleaner, can I get that from any auto store? I have done the O2 sensor and coolant temp. sensor, and tune up too.....

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I got it at NAPA although it must be available most anywhere. Another brand I've heard people on here mention is Seafoam.

I used a couple bottles of it cause of the 34 gal. fuel tank.

Good luck.

G

·
I've written on this example before. My dad had a 1984 318 2V carb (single exhaust with a cherry bomb :) muffler) 4WD RC runnin' like crap. First, it was barely hittin' and gettin around 8 mpg. Got the vacuum lines straightened out and that allowed the timing to be set properly. A full tune-up followed, as well as a tranny adjustment and fluid/filter change. This snagged 12-13mpg mostly on the interstate. Then, as my luck would have it, the cheap-ass plastic-toothed timing gear gave out, bent every pushrod in the thing, and pierced a couple rockers. Every piston had the impression of the valves in the carbon-coated tops. So, new pushrods/lifters, and replacement rockers. New STEEL timing gear/chain, and a water pump and fuel pump for good measure. Fired it up and that thing averaged 15-16mpg on the same route. I've been driving the route for several years, so I know the mileage and used the fill-up method to determine gas consumed. After a while, ya just gotta spruce 'em up.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Be sure to change your oil after running the tank of injector cleaner through. Very nasty stuff and not good for the life of your oil.

You might consider running synthetic lubes in your truck. The up front cost is more but you can extend your drain intervals and everything balances out. You could pick up one or two mpgs that way.

Do you drive with your windows open at highway speed? Rolling up the windows and using the vent/ a/c system can save you 1-2 mpg also. Open windows are huge source of drag.

BTW I get 17mpg (highway) in a 2wd '87 318 at 70mph

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
i know its a little costly but if your geared low you could step up a notch or 2. my 85 runs 274 rears. i get 15 on the h-way with a built 318. well i did till the tranny took a dump. before i had the motor rebuilt i was getting around 18-20 on the h-way.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I used to get 13 hwy or city driving, didn't matter. I was happy with that. I got 15 once, must of had a tailwind. Its kinda hard to get good gas mileage when you're trying to send a un areodynamic brick down the road.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have used prestone 0-60 fuel treatment a couple of times and got about 13mpg. As Dodge 85 RC stated, the brick with no smooth lines is hard to get great gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
tjones85 said:
i know its a little costly but if your geared low you could step up a notch or 2. my 85 runs 274 rears. i get 15 on the h-way with a built 318. well i did till the tranny took a dump. before i had the motor rebuilt i was getting around 18-20 on the h-way.
Or possibly fit an overdrive transmission (if you don't already have one) That will drop your revs and improve your mileage. I'm shooting to only be turning 2k rpm at 75 mph.

On the whole aero thing, yeah we are a brick, but some bricks are better than others. An extreme way to gain mileage would be to slam (lower) the truck all the way down so it looks like a trade show freak. This will cut way down on the air moving beneath the vehicle and lower the overall drag a bit.

Conisder ditching (if you have them) the big rv towing mirrors, fitting a motorized radio att, so it is out of the airstream when not in use.

Cheers

CV

·
Registered
639 Posts
or maybe just drive slower. That's what I do.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
On the whole aero thing, yeah we are a brick, but some bricks are better than others. An extreme way to gain mileage would be to slam (lower) the truck all the way down so it looks like a trade show freak. This will cut way down on the air moving beneath the vehicle and lower the overall drag a bit.
btw mines been lowered (2wd). its 28" at the fender lip on the front and 30" in the rear. nice rod rake.

G

·
A really boring way to help it out a bit is to adjust the kickdown so the tranny upshifts sooner, and downshifts later. I credit the 1969 727 in my old Charger with some of my mileage (when I wasn't shifting it manually-B&M kit). See, back then they still didn't have part throttle kickdown in the 727's, so it'd lug around in 3rd till ya floored it (or yanked the shifter). So, adjusting the kickdown will get you closer to this while still retaining part-throttle kickdown for when you really mean it. You'll accelerate slower at part throttle, but it will save some gas. Nothing huge, but it helps....if you can stand it.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
all this mods and still chance for bad mileage.

the BEST thing to do is make sure your driving habits are up to par.

how far do you drive? how fast? in town? stop and go? it all counts.

my long bed got 18mpg with a motor cycle in the bed at 65 mph. im going to say this is due to previous owners driving.

let your engine warm up before taking off. not so much of a problem in the summer time.
A/C is gonna penalize mileage. so are open windows.

inconsistant speed hurts mileage. stop and go does.

you gotta be smooth.

how do you know how smooth you are driving? here is a simple method. place a cup of water on the dash. when you take off from a stop sign your gonna get wet if ya drive to hard. your dash will get nice and wet if you stop too hard.

cruise control definetly helps. i ve seen big improvements personally.

then you can worry about tune ups synthetic lubricants free flowing exhuast and all that.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Heres a bad question how long has it been since you've done a tune up on your truck? A plugged air filter kills mileage so does a bad egr valve (it also kills power)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I recently did a tune up on the RC, but I really need to change the air filter, I haven't found time or had the money to....but now I can......thanks for helping me too guys!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts