Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a good way? I got rid of my pick-up so now I have to use the RC to haul the canoe around. I use to shove it in over the back and put the front on the console and drive with the hatch open, but that was only for like a 2 mile trip.

I'd like to strap it on top. Anybody have anything special they use? Cushions, racks or what not?

Brian

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
If you have a sunroof, get a rack!! If not, you can use the pads if you want. I have a set and they are ok, just not great. More to protect the edges and the paint. They will keep it from moving some, but 2-3 GOOD tiedowns will do that too. I use 3-4 usually. 2 in the middle to keep it centered. (narrow roof on the S10 ) and one on each end going down to both sides of the bumper. a upside down "V" will help keep it from wiggleing around.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i got a low profile foor rack off a little s 10 blazer and i can put ant thing from canooes to lumer and lots of other stuff works great and reall cheap at your local jy

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Thats a good point, measure your roof and see what will fit, then hit the jumkyard. A LOT of different cars/trucks/minivans came with racks.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Ok, I'm late but here's what I do. I have 4 pads that slide on the canoe gunwale. I just put it on top of my RC and use 2 ratchet straps, on in front and one in the back. Just make sure the canoe is centered. With the ratchet straps, I never have a problem snugging tha canoe down so it stays put.

If you don't have the straps, you can use good rope and make a trucker's knot (or any other kind of loop that will let you cinch it down tight).

Here's a picture of it on my truck. The rear strap has been taken off (so I could access the hatch) and the canoe is a little to the right, but I drove 6 hours on the highway and then 85 miles into the woods with no problems. At first I checked it every half hour or so, then I realized it was going to stay put, so I forgot about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.