Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my engine out so I can get the frame sand blasted, but I don't know the best way to do that. I'll probably end up using one of our bobcats or the mini excavator, so we made a lift plate to bolt onto the manifold but it just doesn't seem like the edelbrock manifold will hold up to the weight. Is there a better way to do it, or will this hold?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have pulled engines for a long time, both using engine lifts/a-frames/forklifts, and have never used the manifold lift to do it. I have always used a good quality heavy chain that was bolted to the front/back of the block and then lifted out.

I have seen many people pull motors with the manifold plate and have never seen a motor fall to the floor, so based on my using 2 bolts and the manifold needing 4, I would think you would be okay, but someone else here may have better information.

Have you called the manifold manufacturer's tech line to see if they know?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
it will work.

but maybe you can use a few more places as a pre caution.

we threaded some short bolts with washer into exhuast manofold ports and added some chains there too.

more chians the merrier. dont use a bolt any longer than possible. if the bolt is nearly bottomed out and has little excess length above the hole you re good. too much excess leaves room for bent bolts.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I've pulled several engines, ranging from a JY 318 to a $30,000 drag race enigne out using nothing but the manifold plate and 4 bolts...it will hold fine as long as you have at least 1/2" of threads in the manifold on each bolt, with more being better.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
As TheRamChargerMan has stated the plate works fine. Keep in mind its only to remove or replace the engine not to let the engine swing on the hook or the chain with like this! You will need to stow the engine once you have it removed. Build a wooden rectangle like box to hold the oil pan and keep the engine up-right or get a stand. Never let swing from a hoist for an extended time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts