Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best file sharing software with out having a bunch of extra BS put on your computer? I am tired of downloading programs that put crap on my computer and slow it down to a crawl while it is on the internet, like Kazaa and Imesh. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I downloaded WinMX and it is great that I no longer have that spy crap on my computer but why are all my downloads so slow? I have a cable modem so they should be decently fast. Is there anything I can check or change to make it faster? My computer won't let me completely delete Kazaa off my computer is there a reason for that, and can I do anything to make it get off my computer.

Thanks,

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Ad-Aware 5.83 and use it. It sped my computer up after I deleted Kazaa but now it is slow again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nobody should ever use kazaa. Instead use kazaa-lite. www.kazaalite.nl/ It has all the spyware/ad-ware removed from it. On the subject of your slow computer, it is probably a program that's running in the background that's slowing everything down.

The Burning Rom 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kazaa is so bad, one of my friends told me that if you run a constant T-1 or a fast connection constantly to Kazaa they can have people connect to your computer and use your bandwith. Thats what their internet service is...

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Burning Rom said:
Nobody should ever use kazaa. Instead use kazaa-lite. www.kazaalite.nl/ It has all the spyware/ad-ware removed from it. On the subject of your slow computer, it is probably a program that's running in the background that's slowing everything down.

The Burning Rom 8)
I second burning rom's motion about kazza lite.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
winMX is awesome. and if you go into the Bandwidth tab you can allocate more bandwidth for your downloads, to make them faster,. It will tell you to set the bandwidth to 85% of the total allowable. Also, when doing a search, there is a button that says "any connection" click on that and pick "cable or faster" for the most part you will have better results. One more thing. click on the "MP3 at any bitrate" button, and set it at "MP3 atleast 192kbps". That will give you better quality.
Bobby

·
Registered
422 Posts
sigh here we go again ::)

just to let all of you know kazza light IS NOT spyware free it comes with something like 4-5 diffrent friends...... imesh also comes with alot of friends too.... winmx doesn't seem to have any.

get spybot search & distroy
http://studserver.uni-dortmund.de/~su1669/spybotsd12.exe
even if you already have adware or any other spyware remover. spybot will detect things adware can not, and adware can detect things that spybot can't. be sure to regularly update both =)

now that thats out of the way

your computer is slow, how? all around or just your winmx downloads?

if your computer is slow all the way around then theres a fair chance that its spyware. run adware & spybot. then call me in the morning ;D

if its just winmx, well sorry but not realy anything I can do about that. from my experience winmx does tend to run slower (more 56k'ers less dsl/cable/t-1+). file transfers can only go as fast as the weakest link. if one of the users is using a 56k modem then there is no way that the transfer will run at over 5-6kbps (forget exactly what for 56k's) regardless of how fast the other end is.

the way kazza, imesh, winmx, ect handle this is if it finds two (or more) people with the exact file you just selected for download it will get both of them to send the file to you (its a bit of magic how this actualy works), there for two 56k'ers send to someone one say a t-1 (1.5mbps) will have a max of 10-12kbps transfer speed.

I'm bringing this up because winmx doesn't seem to have as many users as kazza or imesh, so its less likely that two people will be online at the same time with that exact file you want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts