Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 ramcharger with the magnum 318 and was wondering what the best setup would be??? right now i have dual 2 1/2 inch pipe with flowmasters that go straight out the back. my one hanger broke so i cut my tailpipes of but i dont like it exiting under the truck. so i need exhaust and was wondering if i should keep the 2 1/2 pipe with flowmasters or do something different???

thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
From what I've been told, 2 1/2" is perfect for a 318/360. Any bigger (not enough backpressure) or smaller (restriction) and your performance will suffer. Besides, you REALLY don't want a grapefruit cannon coming out the back of your truck now, do you?? ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
this is one of them things...like which carb is best...that requires you to make your own choice. Listen to someone else's exhaust that may be done different, and see if you like it.

I have been running dual 2 1/2 " pipes straight out the back on my truck for a long time, and I like it.

I don't like side exit exhaust, because in front of the wheels is too loud, and behind the wheels, the mud rots them out to quickly. I also like to be able to hear both side of the engine, not just one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Seriously lets recap what was stock on a 92 318 magnum.... Large manifold exhaust ports dumping into Itty bitty 1 7/8" maybe 2" head pipes (You did replace the head pipes right?) with suck ass "Y"pipe a large 2.75" in/out cat to a small, restrictive muffler and a maybe a single crimped to hell 2.25" tailpipe. Can you say restrictive?

Now you have dual 2.5" all the way. Hardley a meaningfull bottleneck in sight. I would put those hard earned $$$ to something that would have a better HP return. *Maybe* spring for an 'H' pipe kit while your down there.

My 92 Ramcharger could use your tailpipes should you replace them ;-)

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I have JBA headers with 2 1/4inchs exits. They dump into a custom Y pipe made over the front drive shaft. The Y pipe starts with 2 1/4inchs for 16" in length then to 2 1/2inch pipe to where they join and create the Y, which is the start of the 3inch. Then 3inch at the Y exit to a 3inch in/out Magnaflow cat. Then to a 3inch in/out Magnaflow muffler and 3inchs out the passanger side back tucked up high behind the rear tire, all fit in the stock location. I went all 14ga stainless with mandrel bends & tig welded. The entire system gave me way better power (hp & tq) thru out the RPM range compaired to before (stock with a Dynomax turbo style muffler) She realy jumps out of her pants now at 2800 rpm til 5000 rpm.
Before I had a bit of a hard time against my buddys dakota with a 5.2L Mag, now I'm ahead of him same situation, same strech, only thing done to mine was the exhaust. Might have been the headers or the free flow system, exhaust shop said cat wasn't blocked, but I think it may have had alot of restriction. Could be the stainless getting rid of more heat. I think it was everything combined. All said, I like the way it is now except the sound. I'm going to replace the muffler to a quiter (stock sounding) one. Same brand, larger size, same in/out 3inch pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.