Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BEST BRAND(s) 318 HARMONIC BALANCER (HB) PULLER ? & True TDC tool images... see below.. .

Looking to eventually replace the Harmonic balancer re my 1985 RC 318..

Question # 1.. WHAT IS THE BEST BRAND(s) re Dodge 318 etc HARMONIC BALANCER (HB) PULLER ??
I was planning to go online auction and pick up an orphaned... vintage... MAC Tools, Snap-On, Craftsman, etc etc..

Q # 2 ... Should I replace my original equipment HB, with a solid piece HB.. (if there is one) OR ..get a new two piece typr HB..
equivalent to what's on that 1985 ...318cu in.. now ??

While I'm at it.. I'm going to check the tension of the timing chain for any slack, and change that out while I am dealing with the HB.. Thanks Guys.. EDDIEK

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I have several unknown brand pullers that I picked up over the years. I would not say any one is better then another.

One thing I do, is loosen the big bolt, and thread it back 1/2" or so, and use the bolt had for the puller to push on. Then I will loosen everything, and unthread the bolt another 1/2" or so, then pull the HB off the rest of the way. Probably some unnecessary work, but the last thing I want, is to damage the threads on the crank shaft.

I would just stick with a stock replacement style.

If you take off the timing cover, remember to HB on before tightening the cover, that way it will center it self on the outside of the HB. If you do not get it centered enough, you may have an oil leak that can frustrate you trying to track it down.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I think the one I have had for decades is a Plews brand from the local Fisher/Federated parts store.  Most are similar but I have seen some of the cheaper ones gall the threads or strip out when used with an impact gun.  Keep anti-seize on the threads and it will help keep that from happening with a good puller.  I also seem to have lucked out and ended up with a handful of 3, 4 and balancer/steering wheel pullers that have the same diameter and thread that match my slide hammer set so I can put together a lot of strange combinations to pull various things.

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
My Craftsman brand steering wheel/harmonic puller has served me well for several jobs. No complaints

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The main thing is not putting the pointy cone end of the puller into the end of the crank. I like SB's idea of the bolt. I think they make a tool that slides or threads into the crank, and then the cone rides in that. Galling the threads is not cool

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
EDDIEK said:
Thanks TD, I'll get a vintage Craftsman off fleabay.. don't trust the stuff coming from the Middle Kingdom ...
As I said above, I found the true TDC.. using the homemade piston stop re hollowing out a spark plug..I had my doubts. You've probably saw the videos on you tube. After you hand rotate the HB clockwise and counterclockwise to get the right and left marks you measure the midpoint. One youtube guy said use a piece of tape or paper make your marks at either end to match the HB marks, fold the tape or paper in half to find your exact center. Beats trying to use a measuring tape etc etc..

How to make the tool:

See images below.

How to use the tool:

The balancer was still true..
EDDIEK
personally who cares if the HB is true , if its not falling off run it , besides most mechanics dont even use a timing light on old dodges , best way to time one is by ear with a vacuum gauge

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would think it would be more so an engine,  that is leaking oil out the timing cover, getting onto the vulcanized rubber slowly degrading the rubber and the bond.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
All the dodges I have worked on, I have only seen two that had noticeably bad HB's. Both had the outer portion moved back against the timing cover, and wearing into the raised edge of the timing marks. One wore all the way through the timing cover, the other just scraped the outer surface. My opinion, if it is just rotated, keep an eye on it, and use it. If you see it moving back, then look at replacing it.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
The 318, is not going to be affected if the outer ring rotates. The 360 auto, will be thrown off balance, but I can't imagine it would be enough to notice, until it gets way off. The stock 360 manual trans balancer, had the weight attached to the center section, so rotation of the outer ring, is just like the 318, except that it cannot come off the front, only move backwards.

Either way, if you know it is moving, you want to keep a closer eye on it.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I can't fault the books too much, They were written probably 20 years ago, for the owner doing his own work. Not for an owner trying to keep an antique vehicle on the road. And then, a lot of this is hit or miss. I bet there is less then a dozen active members here, who have had balancer issues.

Just shows more need for belonging to a great community like we have here.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
They are better, but they are written for a dealers mechanic, So for things like testing the voltage reg, they say to use tester XXXX and plug it in. for the average owner, I think all three are not a waste of money.  I also have a collection of general auto repair manuals, and then more specific like rebuilding Mopar small blocks, and something or other with Carter carburetors. When I am bored, I read. Thats why I like Military stuff, they have manuals on how to use, how to maintain, and how to repair everything.

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
EDDIEK said:
All you need to do is...... know how to look it up. ;D ;D
That was the Key to most of the Army technical schools, know where to look, and how to use what you find. The Army and Navy's TM numbering system, is half assed, but kinda makes sense. The Air force? {noclue}

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.