Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow mopar bretherin:) 1989/5.2/4X4/RC/Rockin'/gets alot of ass/I don't really get a lot of ass but still trying/ok I will stop/ So the real issue here is i got an alignment and my rc started pulling to the drivers side. So i took it back to the alignment shop and they checked it again and said it was still fine. My rc is still pulling to the drivers side, so is it possible to have a bent frame? And/or maybe the new alignment is only exposing a deeper issue? Any ideas (and I mean any ;) are welcome lol(this is a serious question tho, please excuse the humor because my truck pulling to the drivers side while driving feels dangerous and i really want to possibly figure this issue out)( and could this possibly be the longest question ever asked using parenthesese)!?!?...Thanks(and for those without a sense of humor i say"GET ONE!!!!!!!!!!!"

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes it could have a bent frame , it could have bad wheel bearings , it could have bad brakes , it could have a bad tire , it could have the wrong air pressure ,  it could have a bad shop doing the alignment , I had a name brand shop leave the upper controll arm bolts loose ( falling OFF loose) and the shims sitting ontop of the air filter , said it was done come get it , a fella drove it 30 miles to our shop , we trailered it back .

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I'd check the much more common issues of a dragging brake, bad ball joints, etc.  Unless there is evidence that the truck was wrecked, I would not be suspecting the frame.  You and a friend can easily do a couple quick measurements on the frame to find out if it's reasonably square.  Just measure diagonally across the frame from fixed points and compare the measurements from both sides.  Body mount brackets, spring hanger brackets, rivets on the frame, etc. all work as long as they are the same on both sides.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dragging brake is probably the issue, I have had the most trouble with the dragging brake on my 4wd than ever.  Mine would pull to the passenger side.  Fixed that then to the driver side I went.  Calipers were just worn out and were not returning back into their resting position.  Ended up doing the whole brake system as the truck had sat for a little while before I bought it.  More than likely I bet this may be your culprit.

Let us know what you figure out.

Neil

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
that or you need a better alignment shop because a GOOD shop would NOT let it out the door if it pulled , they would keep it till it was fixed right

·
Registered
173 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
that or you need a better alignment shop because a GOOD shop would NOT let it out the door if it pulled , they would keep it till it was fixed right
THIS!

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you have a brake dragging the rotor will be much hotter than the other side, sometimes hot enough you can feel the heat just being close to it, try swapping the tires around side to side and if it pulls the other way you found your culprit..

G

·
Jeeze...    HOW do they charge for an "alleged" alignment... without a final road test ?? 
Any competent shop would have given it a final road test !!!    I always pay with credit card, if I get that crap, I get his but in the driver seat while I ride right seat..  All he has to do is to lightly control the steering wheel, any pronounced drift to the left or right is going to be obvious. I warn them find the problem and advice or I will do a charge back to via the credit card company for "services paid for but never rendered"..
OH and BTW.... after i get my charge back / refund. I would find a professional alignment shop. and avoid that other place like the plague, i would also relate the experience to all my friends n assoc..🤮

·
Registered
432 Posts
Calipers are surprisingly cheap to replace.
If you alignment shop is any good, they wouldn’t align it with bad ball joints or tie rod ends, as your alignment will never be straight if there’s slop anywhere.
If they don’t have the big ass precision alignment rack, with an alignment tech that’s certified to run it, I won’t touch the place.
There’s about 10 shops in my town, all do alignments, only one has an actual rack and educated tech. The alignments most of these shops do, you might as well count the threads and eyeball it from a block away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it started after they aligned it I would not let them off the hook until they fixed it.

G

·
Yea, Like dat dare Rabbit 929 guy said👻..
That's a given. Or should be !! that they should be looking for the obvious ....easy to see...worn and thus really
..loose ball joints, tie rods...or anything else that does not appear normal..
What were they doing the week before cleaning dog kennels ?..  (sorry dog kennel guys)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.