Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lived with this for about 3 cold seaons and I figured that I would post it now. In the morning under load, the power steering belts squeals like a stuck pig. It does it until the outside temp warms up or I shut the truck off when I get to my destination. Does not do it in the summer. I have changed the belt and hoped to stop it but it continues to do it with new belts. Any ideas??

Thanks BB

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
NOT / the only way to get rid of it is change the glazed pulley / l bet if you look at the PS pulley its as shiney as a chrome bumper / that or take the 80 grit sand paper to it / l,ll bet its wearing the belt funny too

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kinda had a feeling that the pulley had something to do with it. When I change the belt I try to clean the pulley as best I can but the glazing is something that I had not thought of. I will give it a try. As far as the Gatorback or Hi-miler belts, where to get them? Does the Zone have them or where? Thanks BB

·
Registered
232 Posts
They used to sell a product at the auto parts stores called 'Belt Ease' and it would spray on and coat the belt to de-glaze the pully.

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used some belt dressing that says that it will stop the squeal but nothing on that one. Thanks BB

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
belt dressing will just make a huge mess !!!

if you are gonna use anything, use wd-40. otherwise, make sure your pulleys are lined up right, and put a new belt on and tighten it correctly.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
ive been having the same exact problem. i dont know if they are glazed. except that its on my alt belt. mine is the two belt setup, and one is a new grooved one and the other is an old smooth one. do you think that just swapping them both for new ones would shut it up? thanks...and im going to go see if any are glazed. ill reply in a bit.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yep, all really glazed. not so much on the crank and steering pulleys, but pretty good on the alt. i think ill swap all the belts and hoses when i put a new timing chain in.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can tell that mine is the power steering. I just replace my alterator about a week ago and who knows it could be my crank side as well. I will check into it but I have to work my electrical issues out first. Thanks BB

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if you have a dual belt setup, you need a matched set. IE the belts are either sold as a set, or you make sure they are from the same batch and date code by looking at the numbers onthe belts. NAPA still sells them as matched sets...the other guys probably won't know what you are talking about.

the idea is, they will be made from the same material and are cut on the same machine, so they will stretch and wear the same.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yeah, i think one prolly snapped and so the p.o. replaced only one of them. i havent had to buy belts yet, bout how much does napa charge for the set [the 2 alt, and the two other singles]?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
goodyear's claim was all their belts are matched,thats what i was told by a rep a couple years ago.dayco as far as i know still matches their belts.i had a problem a while back ,the p/s pump was crooked because the last guy that had it apart put it back together wrong and left one of the spacers out.the tire marking chalk on the belt works pretty good too.any chalk for that matter would work.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
that's what I was told too...better belts now...

But when i had opne stretch more than the other, I said sure they are......

I only run 1 belt now due to issues with the edelbrock heads.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i have the same problem on my pw. i tried fixing it with belt dressing, and that was the worst thing that i could have done. it got all over anything in the path of the belts, and i being young and foolish decided the more the better right? wrong! the glue like quality of the belt dressing gave my truck the most annoying high pitched whine, like a supercharger.

·
7,995 Posts
bluebeast said:
I kinda had a feeling that the pulley had something to do with it. When I change the belt I try to clean the pulley as best I can but the glazing is something that I had not thought of. I will give it a try. As far as the Gatorback or Hi-miler belts, where to get them? Does the Zone have them or where? Thanks BB
Try getting the Gatorback at Autozone locally, if they dont stock it then order it online at www.Autozone.com while they still have free shipping. This is an excellant belt but if you still have problems, let me know and I think I can find you a new pulley for around $20 + shipping. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts