Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all! I became the proud new owner of an 85 RC the other day. its a prospecter(?) if that says anything. theres a 318 with a 2 barrel under the hood, 4 wheel drive, dual exhaust.....just to let y'all know what I'm working with here.

so, to get to the point, its in pretty bad shape. the body is rustier'n'sheeit, the frames ok(straight and not rusty), it needs a tuneup(backfiring n stuff), the shifter needs work, it slips out of drive when I hit a bump, the bushings in the suspension are dried out.....like the title says, its a project, but it runs and gets me from a to b for the time being

so, the point of this, I need some pointers.
obviously, I'll need to replace some body panels, but what about the rusty floor? can I even do that?

the transmission doesn't want to back up on even the slightest incline

after the tune up, I want to do a 4 barrel carb, anything else for power thats not too spendy?

what about suspension? what has worked for y'all?

any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks ahead of time!

Andy

·
Registered
768 Posts
try a 4" skyjacker lift for the suspension, go to ur local junkyard if ur short on dough and get a 727 trans if itll fit i aint sure, or if u got money get it rebuilt, try an exhaust an ok one can run around 200 bucks, dunon what to tell ya bout the shifting maybe get a new shifter? i wanna get a rachet shift for my pw

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thorough tune up should be first priority
The new floor mounted shifters will make it much easier and trouble free.. they're just cable operated.
'85 should be a 727 already.. Before anything, try changing the fluid and adjusting the bands.. You can either swap it out.. get it rebuilt or rebuild it yourself if you have the space. (most I've talked to have said the Torqueflite is one of the most forgiving to rebuild).. with the savings of the labor.. you can buy more parts for the rebuild, such as shift kit, lower 1st gear ratio.
4" lift seems to be the most common and practical, simply because if you decide you'd like a little more, you can do a 2-3" body lift.
Floor boards are a bit of work to do right, but simple to patch if you're only looking for function.. You can just get a set of good floorboards and lay them in over the existing and secure them ( not the right way.. but cheap and quick) or the proper way is to cut out the old and weld new ones in, for a real bodyman it's not any different that any other patch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts