Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock axles in my "90 RC. I am not, and will not any time soon, be ready to put in heavier axles so I am wondering what you guys have done to your axles to make them as bullet prrof as they can be. (By stock I mean front D44 & rear 9.25). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I had 44's on my RC with stock 44 and 9.25 with no problems with the rears but plenty with the front d-shaft

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well first ditch the CAD. pull the motor get some aftermarket axles for a non-cad D44 (do all 4 shafts), get the through hardened shafts. weld a plate over the cad hole. then truss the axle. For the rear get new shafts and truss the axle.

Its going to cost you about $500 (rough guess) or more if you can't weld and even after that the axles still aren't going to be as strong as 3/4 ton axles. A D60 & D44 set of axles is going to run you about $500 (hell you might beable to tow off a truck with a D70 & D60 for the same price if you look....). New rims wont be bad, you can even reuse the same 15" tires you got now (when I did mine I bought a set of new 15x10 8lug rims for $73 each)

but I'm sure ED-3 will be along shortly to tell you that everyone else on this site is full of sh*t and that the stock axles are bullet-proof as they are and can't ever possable break......

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
No i will just say that everyone doesn't know when to get off the gas and instead plays the blind cowboy and then they break stuff, like i continuely say read the 1st post, i didn't do a damned thing to those axles , Red why not wait and see what breaks and then when you 1st hand see what it is fix it or make the upgrade then, you might ever spend a dollar.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
in the long run, it will be cheaper and easier to swap in 1tons than beef up half tons. just my .02.

Duane

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
I actually agree with Marty here. :) Run what you got until it breaks. Another thing you have to ask, is what size tires are you planning to run, and how hard do you wheel. Hell, worst case, I'm not that far from you if something breaks and you need a hand.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
There are three things you should consider when dealing with axles. Tire size, engine power and terrain. If any of these get extreme, you become a candidate for stronger (Typically bigger) axles.

There are several aftermarket companies that produce all kinds of parts for the Dana 44 to improve and or increase their strength, such as stronger ring and pinion gears, alloy axleshafts, stronger axleshaft u-joints, trusses, etc. Of course these parts can drive up your costs to the point where you're better off just buying a bigger Dana 60, but the nice thing is, you don't have to buy everything all at once if you want to keep your existing axle.

Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
Should a guy stick with 35" tires with the stock 9.25 and D44? Is that a good way to keep from breaking the stockers???

G

·
Brutus said:
Should a guy stick with 35" tires with the stock 9.25 and D44? Is that a good way to keep from breaking the stockers???
The rear will probably be allright but be ready to replace the short side on the front

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
No i will just say that everyone doesn't know when to get off the gas and instead plays the blind cowboy and then they break stuff, like i continuely say read the 1st post, i didn't do a damned thing to those axles , Red why not wait and see what breaks and then when you 1st hand see what it is fix it or make the upgrade then, you might ever spend a dollar.
hmm, you run stock axles with 44" tires climbing rocks (hardly any pedal at all) and you will break axles like toothpicks. If you are lucky for the front you will only blow ujoints like crazy. So that hard on gas thing doesn't appy to everything, mainly just mud.

If you don't offroad alot you may live forever with stock stuff, but if you do wheel, and I don't mean sissy wheel, I am talking real wheeling, and you have larger then stock tires you will eventually break something.

The safest thing for stock axles is leaving them open diffs. With open diffs you are less likely to break something, but more likely to be the one being pulled out all day long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.