Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there has been a recent problem with my 89 rc. there are bees, not the fat fuzzy ones, but wasps, making bee hives in the upper gap of my 89 rc. i noticed that its easy for them to crawl in and there is alot of room there even when its closed. how would i fill that area up? maybe some foam or rubber seals? i had to use windex on them becuz i didnt have anything else in a spray bottle handy. cuz i didnt wanna reach into that area with them still in it. help please ppl!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Try some "RAID" that has always worked for me. And what exactly is an "upper gap" of your 89 rc?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If it's an area that doesn't need movement, have moving parts, or hold water.. I'd suggest Great Stuff.. expanding foam

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok first trick is to make sure you kill them all.

the wya to do this is wait until after sundown when they are all back in their nest, then spray the area liberally with gumout carb cleaner. do this for about 3 days in a row, gaurantee they wont survive.

i have use this method several times, and afterwards i have not had a problem of them returning to build a nest in that area

eric

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you have Bengal wasp spray in your area, I have found it to be the best. There are many places in any vehicle where wasps can build nests, so if the vehicle isn't driven much, be careful, especially in the spring time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you have any computer "air" aerosols around, turn the canister upside down. It will spray some COLD liquid out. Be careful, it will burn your skin as well. Wait until night time when they are less active and then freeze them. You might have to squish a couple, but it will certainly be less caustic than spraying bugkiller into a place that is inside your cab.
I know ants don't like Basil leaves if you need to deter them from cooking areas inside your home, maybe it will work for the wasps?
Maybe a concentrated air freshener, such as Glade or Wizard would work in your case?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i moved to the truck to a different part of the parking lot and have been checking to see if they come back. i didnt let them ever get that much built, about 2 2" sections. i havent seen any more in there yet. and the upper gap i was talking about is the area by the hinges on the liftgate. its kinda roomy yet kinda cramped there so they liked it. does anybody know of any other spots they like to live? that way i can check those places. thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
check dehind the grille, in the gap between the doors and firewall, behind the bumpers, and up in the fender wells.... i know htis because i am stripping a 73 dart and thats where they have been hiding... what a surprise when you look down and you have a wasps nest 2 inches from your hand....

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
if you have a fuel door they like to build there as well, not as big a deal on rc's but on cars and some trucks it is

eric

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Don't squash them!! Hornets and yellowjackets release a "battle hormone" when their body breaks open, which incites any others in the area to swarm and attack relentlessly!!! I think you should wait till night time, then put a bee bomb inside and seal it up. Then in the morning, clean up the bodies and remove the nest. Also check in your ducts, and under the side panels, in the doors, and any other place that other colonies might have started nesting. A bomb will make sure everything is dead, whether you can see it or not.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Either that, or wait until dark and blast them with soap and water. I heard it clogs their lungs, and they suffocate and die.TaZMaNiaK's idea is good, but that bug bomb stuff is bad news if you breathe it, and if it gets into your vents and you turn on the heater or a/c, then ya, yur screwed my friend. The best bet would be to call an exterminator, if you want to be safe.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
StandardByker88 said:
well i moved to the truck to a different part of the parking lot and have been checking to see if they come back. i didnt let them ever get that much built, about 2 2" sections. i havent seen any more in there yet. and the upper gap i was talking about is the area by the hinges on the liftgate. its kinda roomy yet kinda cramped there so they liked it. does anybody know of any other spots they like to live? that way i can check those places. thanks everyone.
I've even caught them starting to nest under the wheel wells and in the grill work on my cars and trucks. I just spray the hell out of them with Raid. I'm allergic to stings and anything that moves dies period. I don't like going to the hospital. I keep a ball hat on all the time outside that way something gets close I swat at it before it gets me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts